About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Making a .Exe (Simple)
dominoe Offline

Making a .Exe (Simple)
Hi all, my partner and i have been working hard for the last couple of months sculpting a gameworld and making models and such, and we're looking to build a demo of sorts to showcase it to other people.

This's what I'm looking to do:

1) Load a Gameworld, and have a character (obj_player) be able to run around in it, having all the same abilities as when you're in the editor and just hit 'Play'.

2) Have a simple .exe pulling everything from .paks (I know how to make the paks, easy enough there)

3) End Result - Something someone can double-click the .exe and get tossed right into the gameworld to run around and view everything in all its three dimensional glory.

4) Easy extras to add to improve this simple experience

I've been going through the tutorials and reviewing the code, but honestly i'm not a coder and don't have immediate access to someone who can guide me through this process, so I figure I'll ask you all for help.

If someone could point me to the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.
04-02-2011 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Truelegend Offline

RE: Making a .Exe (Simple)
I dont understand.

If you want have .exe file with your game. You must do it in MSVC++.
Just write your game and build.

I am not sure this answer is good for this question.
04-02-2011 06:28 PM
Seba Offline

If you want to start with something easy. Load file from Simple Project. Here you change game.cpp. Load your world add cam, sun, you can take that code form tutorial for example from camera tutorial. If you only want move around you can use classes that are in engine Game::Chr, Game::Static, Game::Item, so you don't need to write any code. If you need some extra information you need make your own classes that take form Game classes.

Example Item class with extra information from tutorial:
Quote:STRUCT(Item , Game::Item) // extend items to include item Icons, and parameters
//{
Char name[32];
Byte type;
Flt power;
ImagePtr icon;

// manage
void create(Game::ObjParams &obj);

// draw
UInt drawPrepare();
void drawIcon (C Vec2 &pos);

// io
void save(File &f);
Bool load(File &f);

Item();
};

But the best way is to write on your own using tutorials.
04-02-2011 06:34 PM
dominoe Offline

Let me try to be more precise.

1) You build out your gameworld using the editor. Terrain, trees, buildings, objects, etc
2) You add a character and set his type to 'Obj_Player'
3) You go to 'World > Play > Update Visual and Play'
4) Now you're running around in the gameworld.

This's all i want to do, except without making other people have to use the editor to do it. Nothing fancy. The code is already written somewhere I'm sure, as the editor is doing this on the fly.

I'm not trying to learn the coding part - its not my bag - just trying to put something together to showcase the models i've made.
04-02-2011 07:27 PM
Truelegend Offline

why?? ... you dont want to programming nothing?.
04-02-2011 08:28 PM
dominoe Offline

(04-02-2011 08:28 PM)Truelegend Wrote:  why?? ... you dont want to programming nothing?.

my job on this project is to make models and textures - we're looking for a programmer, but for now i just want to put out this demo
04-02-2011 09:04 PM
Dynad Offline

What you can do for a simple demo with 1 player is to use 1 of the tutorials.

EsenthelEngineSDK\Tutorials\Source\Advanced\4 - Demos, Game Basics\Game Basics\03 - World with Character.cpp

This tutorial loads in 1 world with 1 player and items.. if you change it's variables to your world it will work just fine wink

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
04-02-2011 09:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dominoe Offline

(04-02-2011 09:16 PM)Dynad Wrote:  What you can do for a simple demo with 1 player is to use 1 of the tutorials.

EsenthelEngineSDK\Tutorials\Source\Advanced\4 - Demos, Game Basics\Game Basics\03 - World with Character.cpp

This tutorial loads in 1 world with 1 player and items.. if you change it's variables to your world it will work just fine wink

many thanks dynad, i will try that out! smile
04-02-2011 09:18 PM