About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Pathing issues
dragonfly3 Offline

Pathing issues
I think I may know what the problem I'm having is caused by but I'd like to ask to make sure and see what the solutions are.

My programmer lives in a different state as me. We transfer files back and forth. For example, I send him my obj folder and world folder so he can work on programming and testing it.

The problem we are having is that he keeps getting errors saying file not found on almost every texture (there could be more of course but it stops at the textures due to those errors) and he can't get the world to load.

It gives this error (one of them): Can't load "C:\Documents and Settings\Jennifer\My Documents\hedron\textures\crystal\Lapis Lazuli.gfx"
Additional path "Obj\Building\zigurate 3ds"

Now, I do understand that the texture error is something that is my fault. I test out different textures on models before choosing which one I want to use. I keep them in separate folders so my game folder isn't junked up with a bunch of files I'm not using. In this case I accidentally forgot to move it to the data folder in my game folder. But why is it giving errors on the data/obj folder as well?

Is this due to the files pathing location on my computer being different than on his (i.e. c:\documents and settings\users\jennifer\my documents\my game on mine and a different location that doesn't include any one of those folders on his?)

If so, how can we change it and fix it so that it works properly on both computers?
04-03-2011 05:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dandruff Offline

RE: Pathing issues
Yup, exactly that. Just move those files from your docs to the data folder of your project into a new folder say, Stuff. Then go into your code/gui editor and change the destination for example to "Stuff/gui.gfx"
04-03-2011 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

I think I got the issue fixed. Thanks smile
04-04-2011 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yes, all files must be stored inside the "game data" folder
04-04-2011 02:23 PM
Truelegend Offline

I think good choice is to have server where all files you have and update these files smile.
04-04-2011 03:04 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

can't really afford a vps right now and still looking for a server side programmer to get one set up and integrated with the client side. In the meantime we found a cool new free cloud service called Tonido so we've just started using it to help with file sharing, exchanging, and issues. Thank goodness there are creative tools out there for starving digital artists lol
04-05-2011 12:52 AM