About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[Resolved] Skybox not working
dragonfly3 Offline

[Resolved] Skybox not working
I builded and saved my world last night before shutting everything down and all was fine. I open my world today and now there's some strange lighting effect going on which is making the entire world look like crap. Everything is dark and the terrain has some weird negative effect going on against the trees and grass. I never touched any of the environment settings. Everything should be just as it was when I saved it last night but it's not. I'm not even sure what to change or fix because I have no idea what caused it to screw up. Any ideas as to why everything would suddenly go dark like this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Here are before & after pictures:

Before:

After (now):

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2011 09:11 PM by dragonfly3.)
04-10-2011 03:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Major problem
When you click on "Sun" in the environment is everything there alright?

you can always close the editor, delete "*.environment.txt", restart editor
it should force default settings
04-10-2011 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

I checked the sun and everything looked the same. I'm not sure what happened. I have a backup of the world but it was made 2 days ago & I've done a ton of work on it since then. If I just copy paste the environment.txt from the backup into the original folder will it suffice?
copy pasting the backed up environment.txt file didn't work. I'm not sure what is wrong
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 04:56 PM by dragonfly3.)
04-10-2011 04:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

ok, so I updated the engine this morning and now the skybox is not working. Not in the basic editor with no world loaded, not in any 3 of my worlds. It is showing up as black instead of blue. Any ideas?
04-10-2011 05:24 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Major problem-Skybox not working
I've just tested skybox and it works fine.
Did you change anything in your system? (drivers, hardware)
Did your perform correct update? http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=2862
Try calling autoupdate again, if it wont help, try download 7z sdk archive, make clean extraction.
04-10-2011 05:43 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

the lighting is also messed up on my material creation in the model editor. It's extremely dark. I haven't changed any of my hardware. I put a new graphics card in 2 weeks ago but that shouldn't affect things between yesterday and today. When I updated this morning I did it via the autoupdate tool.

I'm going to update my video card drivers but I don't think that's it. I did it when I installed it. I'm running a GeForce GT430 and updated drivers when I installed it. I'll also do another engine update. Hopefully that fixed it.

I'm going to attach a screenshot of what my material looks like in the material editor.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 05:50 PM by dragonfly3.)
04-10-2011 05:49 PM
Demi Offline

Did you happen to by accident turn off the sky in the enviroment? Maybe bloom?
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 06:21 PM by Demi.)
04-10-2011 06:21 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

You can see in the screenshots that all environment aspects are on-bloom, sun, etc. When I open the editor just by itself this is what I get:

Every world I open gets these same environment settings: my worlds, MMO sample world, teleport1 sample world, teleport2 sample worlds...all of them.

I just rebooted, updated my video driver, and ran an autoupdate on the EE.

Looks like the only thing left that I can do is wipe out my EE and reinstall it. I don't know what on earth is going on.

I just tried to load my world and everything is now working properly except the skybox. All lighting is correct now but the skybox is still not showing up. If I switch to atmospheric then I get a blue sky and it's fine. That's fine with me, I can do that. But why is the skybox not working?

Here is a screenshot of all of my environment settings. You can also see that the lighting and everything is now corrected, except the skybox. I have double checked the settings for "skybox 1" and skybox 2" and they point to the proper files.

(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 07:28 PM by dragonfly3.)
04-10-2011 07:16 PM
Truelegend Offline

Try rechange tools smile
04-10-2011 07:32 PM
llynx Offline

Have you tried recreating the skybox?
Have you tried using other skyboxes, do they give you the same results?
04-10-2011 09:36 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Also try modifying sky fraction parameter
04-10-2011 09:53 PM
Dandruff Offline

RE: Skybox not working
Are you 100% sure it points to the correct location? Because if i just fill something random in there it also goes black. Everything is default except for the skybox:

If you want, you can clear the text to revert to the default skyboxes

[Image: 312bamw.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2011 12:27 AM by Dandruff.)
04-11-2011 12:23 AM
llynx Offline

Ah, that looks like the problem exactly ;D nice one dandruff
04-11-2011 12:52 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

ok, I cleared out the skybox boxes and that worked. But what I'm wondering is why they didn't work in the first place. I used the "..." browse button to select it and tried both the skybox (I only have the EE skybox) from my game folder and from the EE folder and neither one worked. But clearning the box completely made it work. Not sure why it didn't work before but it's fixed now. Thank you!! smile
04-11-2011 09:10 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

RE: [Resolved] Skybox not working
Having this problem again. No clue why.

I downloaded the 7z file for the SDK and started fresh and that didn't fix it. I deleted all skybox gfx files and tried to create new ones and that didn't fix it. I tried using the Esenthel skybox and that didn't work. The sky just shows up Black just like in the pictures. All of the information is set correctly. It was actually working fine. Then I tried to create a new environment with a different skybox and when I set that, that is when all skyboxes stopped showing up.

[EDIT]Nevermind. It seems that with the new converter update my old gfx files wouldn't work. I just have to create all new gfx files for all of my skyboxes...which is kind of a pain in the butt cuz I'd rather spend time on actual game development, but for anyone else who may experience this problem, this is how I fixed it.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2011 05:17 AM by dragonfly3.)
12-17-2011 05:08 AM