About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel 2.0 Server issue
AndrewBGS Offline

Esenthel 2.0 Server issue
The problem is I (and no one else) can connect to my server using global address. This occured only after switching to a new computer. I believe that's because I was stupid enough to install Esenthel for windows dedicated server (my bad). So I deleted that (was there an uninstall?) and reinstalled the normal Esenthel 2.0 for windows.

However, the problem persists.

I can connect to server using local address, but not global.

Any idea what I could try?

Scratch that, turns out it's not working on my laptop either. Could it be related to me using a router lately? That's the only thing that has changed.

I've moved out recently and I didn't use the server since. So what else could cause it?
(global address not working for server connection)
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2013 08:32 PM by AndrewBGS.)
10-23-2013 07:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ozmodian Offline

RE: Esenthel 2.0 Server issue
I had the same problem but it was Windows Firewall blocking it.
10-23-2013 09:08 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

EE for Win and for Win Dedicated servers is exactly the same (except the installer allows to work without GPU).

I can never connect from A to A computer (the same) using global address, when using the same computer you can use only local addresses.

For connecting other computers, try local address too, or try as Ozmodian mentioned, checking firewall settings, allowing EE to be unblocked, etc.
10-23-2013 09:54 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Well this is new. I know for a fact I used to connect to my own computer using global address. I'll try and check if others can connect to me. It's not the firewall, that's disabled; I tried that.
(it works with local when they're in my apartment using my wi-fi. But I need to work with my friends when they're away too...)

Just tried, can't connect from my laptop to my PC using global... (and local works)
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2013 10:51 PM by AndrewBGS.)
10-23-2013 10:47 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Just a thought, try checking firewall settings on both computers.

Oh, and make sure they're both using latest EE version.
10-23-2013 10:56 PM
Rubeus Offline

Connecting to your own computer using the global IP is a router configuration issue; the router needs to be specifically told to loop the global back to the local. Many routers by default do not do this, but there are some that do, and more that can be configured to do so (like DD-WRT).
If it is not configured as such, rules of TCP/IP state that routers do not have to check the interface a packet was received on as a potential route, an so without special commands will not check for the subnet on the receiving interface. So the router without loopback configuration will forward the packet to the programmed next hop(your ISP) and it will be discarded there because there is no match found on the other interfaces. So doing a test on the global IP from behind the same router is iffy at best.
The easiest way to test is to disable Windows Firewall entirely (temporarily!) to see if it works. If not, you have to forward the port you use in your physical router. The latter is more likely, given that you can connect locally. I personally had to forward the port on my server side router in order to connect successfully, but have not had to make any changes on the client-side router.
10-24-2013 08:43 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

I almost understood that.
But I don't know how to "forward the port on my server side router". What I did find on the internet asked for a static IP address, which I don't have. Could you please explain to me how exactly is that done?
10-24-2013 10:15 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

Ok I tried something, didn't seem to work, but apparently others can't connect to me either using global address. No idea what I could do, but it's annoying.

If someone wants to try, my server is on and here's a dummy account:

IP: 79.119.119.16:65534
e-mail: name@domain.com
pass: test

If anyone can connect I'd love a reply. This was a great feature and now when i finally found a level designer for my game i can't use it :((
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2013 02:50 PM by AndrewBGS.)
10-24-2013 02:43 PM
Rubeus Offline

The IP address it wants static is the local IP. Generally, DHCP by default config starts at x.x.x.101 and goes up, so if that's the case, I'd change my IP to x.x.x.99 to avoid conflicts. Just set all your other settings the same as they currently are-you can find them all easily with the cmd: ipconfig /all
Note that you can just use your DHCP IP, but there is a small chance it will change when the lease expires. (alternatively, some routers allow you to plug in your MAC address so your computer will ALWAYS be the same IP even on DHCP)
10-24-2013 07:39 PM