About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Collaborative World Building
Latrina Offline

RE: Collaborative World Building
(04-25-2011 04:12 PM)Dwight Wrote:  You basically edit the map on a different machine. The map is not even stored on your machine, but stored on the server. That is why you need a powerful server for it to even run properly (and therefore is also costly) when editing with an entire team (the limit is therefore also set to 25 people per server!!!).

A high-tech teamviewer with more than 1 mouse on the screen, editing the same map from different viewports in the same editor. wireless usb mouse wireless routers stereo bluetooth headsetNo data is lost. When I pull it up, the other user sees it at the same time when I see it (could be ~100 ms seconds later, depending on the per-user connection speed), and if you were to decrease the ground, we would get a small volcano-like thingy. Having skype running in the background, or if must, on a different machine, is almost a must.

It's like pulling up and down with the same mouse, but then with 2 mouses smile now imagine that with 25 mouses! (or mice? What is the plural of a computermouse?)
I know you can use your home PC from your laptop using the internet so why would this be any different? Just load the Editor on the server or your PC and let everyone connect to it and edit. Not sure how that would handle the mouse thing.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011 03:12 AM by Latrina.)
08-15-2011 03:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

I use TightVNC for working on my computer from other places.
08-15-2011 05:57 PM
Driklyn Offline

^^ Bots are getting sneakier (Latrina)
08-15-2011 07:48 PM
Dandruff Offline

Yeah, i thought i remembered reading what she said already.

(04-25-2011 05:55 PM)runewake2 Wrote:  ... I know you can use your home PC from your laptop using the internet so why would this be any different? Just load the Editor on the server or your PC and let everyone connect to it and edit. Not sure how that would handle the mouse thing...
08-15-2011 10:22 PM
runewake2 Offline

^^ I did not write that... Just wanted to point that out.
08-17-2011 08:59 AM
Driklyn Offline

But you did, about 4 months ago though. Check post #12 of this thread.
08-17-2011 09:30 AM
runewake2 Offline

O... lol. grin

I guess I did. I'm so sneaky that even I don't know when I write something sometimes.
08-22-2011 07:27 PM
Demostenes2 Offline

Collaborative editing does not requiere strong HW or local lan connection. You are not streaming any data or difference patches, only information about change (item ID 250, coordinates changed to 123, etc..) or applied tool. Usually you have some server and clients are connected to it. Hard to make (engine must be designed from the beginning to this), but generally idea is simple.
We were using similar system for world building over 7 years now and it worked OK even on such old HW and internet connection.
11-27-2011 02:58 AM