About Store Forum Documentation Contact

networking of Esenthel Engine
iamcreasy Offline

networking of Esenthel Engine
How is the networking support of Esenthel engine.I haven't seen any topic about this on the wiki page.Does it, have it?

If there is not, then, it is possible to built something be my own to enable networking?

Can I use external "physics engine" with Esenthel?
10-13-2009 01:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: networking of Esenthel Engine
Quote:How is the networking support of Esenthel engine.I haven't seen any topic about this on the wiki page.Does it, have it?
it has the low level Socket functionalities only

Quote:If there is not, then, it is possible to built something be my own to enable networking?
yes you can

Quote:Can I use external "physics engine" with Esenthel?
yes, you can use the engine for graphics only used with another physics engine.
10-13-2009 01:28 PM
iamcreasy Offline

Esenthel Wrote:
Quote:it has the low level Socket functionalities only

Thanks.But I am fairly new in this networking stuff.My plan is to make a multilayer FPS game, with some strategic element.I want to use this engine.But, because of not knowing(still) much about how to establish the connection and how much this can be extended,the things i am planning for the game, I am not sure if I have to leave the project in the middle way, because of choosing the wrong platform.

My question is, do i need to worry about the engines networking capability!Is the low level socket functionality is enough for developing any kind of multilayer game?I know, that these questions sounds weird, but I need to know what this engine is capable of and what not.Otherwise, i might have to suffer in the long run.

The connection will be established, somehow, like HL - Counter Strike.A room will be created, people will join the room.People will be assign themselves to a specific group, and when the server(any of the pc can be declared as server) decides, the game will start.
Pretty simple.

waiting eagerly for answer.
10-13-2009 01:48 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

any kind of multiplayer game is based on the low level sockets, but you'll need some knowledge how to use them and do realtime synchronizations/replications of data.

I will be working on native multiplayer support for FPS in a few weeks (up to few months) can't say exactly when
10-13-2009 02:01 PM
iamcreasy Offline

Is there any kind of other 3rd party free networking system, can be used with Esenthel, that you know, can ease my job?
10-13-2009 02:12 PM
craksy Offline

Quote:I will be working on native multiplayer support for FPS in a few weeks (up to few months) can't say exactly when
so there will be like multiplayer suport for different genres? i thought it would just be like universal multiplayer support pfft

Quote:My plan is to make a multilayer FPS game, with some strategic element
hmm.. with no idea of how experienced you are as a programmer, don't you think it's aiming a little high, if you are new with the engine?
i failed because i was to fast to get started developing an RPG, without knowing the engine well enough.
i think there's at least a couple of people on this forum who had to give up a project because they simply weren't ready for it.
10-13-2009 02:16 PM
iamcreasy Offline

craksy Wrote:i think there's at least a couple of people on this forum who had to give up a project because they simply weren't ready for it.

thanks...
but,u dont know until u give it a try...right. 8-)
10-13-2009 02:33 PM
Stratosphere Offline

Sorry if this is advertising but I think it's the answer to this question.

You could use the High level Raknet lib for your game. You can use it for free if your game is freeware or makes under 250k, you could use it after you get a license with esenthel engine for a small commercial game, if that's what your doing.
10-13-2009 07:11 PM
iamcreasy Offline

@Stratosphere: thank you very much.It sounds very promising.

Now the only thing remaining is, how smooth the connection of esenthel and RakNet will be. smile
10-13-2009 08:42 PM
Stratosphere Offline

No idea. I just know it's one of the most popular network libs, being high level and free for indie game projects. I intend to use it though, which is why I pointed it out to you since we are both looking at make a similar project, though mine is less violent.
10-14-2009 03:44 AM
arcantium Offline

Im planning on making an online RPG (not MMO... yet) and I was looking at RakNet before I found Esenthel. It looks pretty good, but it'll take me a good couple months of playing around with the two to figure out how to join them. If I find anything i'll tell everyone on here grin
10-15-2009 10:14 AM
craksy Offline

checked out Raknet and it looks awesome xD
Very much like Esenthel there is a sample app. for each feature, and the headers seems well documented grin

i may not be making awesome multiplayer games anytime soon, but it's still pretty awesome xD
thanks for mentioning it smile
10-15-2009 11:33 AM
iamcreasy Offline

yeah, but, i think i also got another option.This one is Bullet Engine.And according to the Game Developers Magazine survey it has placed 3rd(10.3%) while the first was Nvidia PhysX(26.8%) and second was Havok(22.7)...check the article out,
http://www.bulletphysics.com/wordpress/?p=88

moreover, it is free for all kind of use.(MIT license)
10-15-2009 01:32 PM