About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Solar System
andargor Offline

Solar System
Space is fun, and I've playing around with different craft, thrust vectors, and all that.

The world I'm using is empty, but I've noticed that after a certain distance, Esenthel starts to use huge amounts of memory and takes a long time to shut down.

Perhaps because I don't know much about how the engine handles worlds, but I'd like to know how to implement astronomically large worlds (literally). For example, I would like to implement the solar system within which there would be several craft (currently based on Game::Item).

What would be the best way? Would I have to implement my own world management (for example, zones currently occupied by craft)? How would I go about turning off the default world management?
05-14-2011 11:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Solar System
you may want to create new empty world folder using Game::WorldManager::Create with WorldSettings having big areaSize

or don't use Game::WorldManager at all (it was designed for flat heightmap based terrains)

Game::Item is not good for space ship
05-15-2011 01:43 PM
andargor Offline

Thanks, I will experiment. What kind of object do you suggest for spacecraft? A completely custom one?
05-15-2011 04:37 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yes
05-15-2011 05:13 PM
andargor Offline

I've managed to create a "Universe" manager into which I can create objects (based on but not derived from WorldManager), and I've come across something odd.

Of course, my first implementation is very rough with almost no optimization, but I have noticed that for large values of pos, the objects start "shaking", much as if they were experiencing an earthquake (in space!). Is this due to rounding errors?

In any case, I will define my own Area derivative based on spheres to hold local groups of ships, and the areas will be moving within the universe. So if the error is from rounding, then rendering will only consider local Area coordinates and problem solved.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2011 05:22 AM by andargor.)
05-17-2011 05:21 AM