About Store Forum Documentation Contact

General improvements.
Tottel Offline

General improvements.
There's a fun little 2D game (which is free too): http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17460
It has cool ideas which could very well be used in 3D, such as:

- 2 teams fighting eachtother (16 vs 16), each with their own main building. In this building you can change class (The quick class changing wouldn't really fit Ineisis. BUT it is quite refreshing when you're sick of playing with a certain class all the time, you can quickly swap).
- Classes:
Builder: Can collect resources by destroying blocks, build walls, gates (which open upwards), ladders, catapults.
Knight: Can block with shield, slash with sword, throw an explosive.
Archer: Can fire arrows, collect them by activating tree-blocks.
- The point of the game is to get to a certain amount of gold before the other team does.
- You can get gold by mining it or stealing it from the other team.
- When the game starts, the gold bags are spawned behind the main building in a little vault in the rocks.
- Your inventory is displayed top-left. When you destroy a stone block, you get 1 stone; when you destroy 1 tree-block, you get 1 wood; when you destroy 1 gold-block, you get 1 gold.
- Simple hitpoints system: Knights have 2 hearts, archers and peasants 1. 1 arrow and you lose 1 heart.
- Catapult fires a couple of rocks, which need to be placed at the catapult by builders. Each tock subtracts 1 heart and damages/destroys walls/gates/ladders.

Could be a cool idea for a game, Esenthel, unless you have other plans already. ^^
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2011 11:19 AM by Tottel.)
06-07-2011 06:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Driklyn Offline

RE: General improvements.
Definitely need a chat.

- Would be nice to know how many players are in the world.
- Would be nice if you could just hold the mouse button down instead of having to click it each time.
- Would be nice if LMB was create and RMB was remove (makes more sense to me this way).
06-07-2011 07:54 AM
Tottel Offline

Updated first post.
06-07-2011 02:04 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yeah, I like those ideas smile I had already similar plans : ability to make mini-games (tournaments) inside the game, people can choose their team, and play extra games, like capture the flag, etc.

I want to put focus also on building villages by players teaming up, each could have their own role, like in real life, there can be "police officer maintaining peace", "builders", etc
there can be plenty of ideas, 1 guy builds walls, other guy builds "war machines or weapons" inside workshop, other one collects resources.
06-07-2011 02:26 PM
Dandruff Offline

Great ideas so far! One thing i noticed is that the gravity seems to be too low. It'd be better if you fall faster and it's sometimes a bit hard to jump on top of blocks.
06-08-2011 02:27 AM
Zervox Offline

I think there is need for threaded streaming of areas pfft if the areas are filled with blocks it takes some time to stream it meanwhile you freeze in position till it is fully loaded.
06-08-2011 10:55 PM
Tottel Offline

I think some discussion about the gameplay would be appropriate.

Esenthel, I don't know how far your plans go and how much time you are willing to spend on this, and it's your right not to tell us. smile
But there are some things I would like to point out, and I would like to know if anyone (dis)agrees and why.

First of all, what you have implemented now is a decent start, but how will it continue?
The main problem to me, is that you can do things too fast. You build blocks instantly, destroy them instantly and raise/lower the terrain as if it's no effort at all. It's a style, I admit, and it's good for people wanting to go creative, but it's dangerous for gameplay.
Mainly, it turns the game into mindless repetitive actions.
Secondly, it lowers the "reward" you get, or in other words: How challenging the game is. Less challenge = less fun.

If you want to focus on players vs world, there should be clear roles. Someone is a builder, a trader, a fighter, a digger, ..
There should be a skill-tree which does not enable you to specialize in all these roles, but makes you pick one or a few.

Suppose you want to go for PvP as well, the siege becomes an important factor. Removing blocks instantly (or nearly-instantly like in minecraft) is a huge bummer when you see someone break through your massive Chinese wall in less then a minute.

These are my thoughts so far. It's not much to go by, but it's late and I felt like asking anyway. smile
What are your plans for future gameplay?

On topic, I can really recommend gameplay-enhancing books such as "A theory of fun - by Raph Koster".
Not that I don't have faith in you, but I learned a whole lot from those books. smile

Fun, challenge, risk vs reward, etc. All very interesting if you want to make a game.
06-17-2011 11:24 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yeah I understand what you mean smile but it just takes some time. first I want to implement basic functionality, after it will be ready, and some more, I will be tweaking the rules.
Now some things are possible without limits, later they won't be.
06-18-2011 12:00 AM
Tottel Offline

I understand completely.. Just checking. ^^
06-18-2011 12:41 PM
Tottel Offline

Hello Esenthel,

I'm liking the new stairs and torches. smile

How about adding day/night cycle to maximize the pleasure of those lovely torches!
Since it would probably be heavier on performance, here is my idea:
1. During the day, torches are off (Outside only, how to check it's outside?)
2. During the night, torches go on. Viewrange can remain the same, but there will be no more shadows from the sun.

I'm not sure, but I think that should balance out the FPS somewhat during the day and night.
Also, the torches should probably emit more yellow/orange light. Not the white light they have now. ^^
06-23-2011 04:54 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

thanks smile

for the moment I don't experience any performance issues so I don't think about limiting lights for now.

day/night cycle will be considered soon
06-23-2011 04:58 PM