About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Chaplain's game questions
Chaplaindm Offline

Chaplain's game questions
I am pretty new to game creation so I have a lot of questions. Instead of clogging up the forums with a lot of questions, I normally just start one thread and keep it going. I like to post screenshots and get feedback also. I have really been impressed by what you people have done!

First, I can't figure out how to load textures so I can paint them in the World Editor. I have searched the WIKI and the help files but can't seem to figure it out. I convert the .bmp file in converter to a .gfx. What do I do then? Just copy into the "Data" folder?

Second, I need an opinion. As a one man team, I sat down and tried to realistically decide where to put my efforts. In the end, I decided to primarily buy my models and then changed my script to support what I could get. I went with dex-soft <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dexsoft-games.com/models/fantasy.html">http://www.dexsoft-games.com/models/fantasy.html</a><!-- m --> so I could have consistancy. So far I have been really happy with it. The models already come with spec, bump, normal, and light maps. Can someone give me a brief explanation of what these are? Are they all going on at the same time, or will I have to chose a particular one at some point. I am at the point where I am loading all my models in Esenthel and want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Lastly, I am creating a 1st Person, RPG which will play a lot like Oblivion or Esenthel did.

Thank you,
Chaplain
06-30-2009 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarora Offline

Re: Chaplain's game questions
You create textures inside the Mesh Editor

After opening, goto Material Editor (Press 5)

Then press (m) or on the menubar, choose Material -> Material Edit.

If you read the manual, you know it naming is material.png for diffuse, material.n.png for normal map, material.s.png for spec map ect smile

Now, with the material edit window open, select the materials (def,normal,spec ect for the texture) and drop onto the editor window.

Select File -> Save to save your map (put it into the data/Mtrl folder) and now you can choose the texture in the world editor.

(incase you missed it, in the English.chm help file, under (tools -> mesh editor) scroll down to "MATERIAL mode" for more help on naming and dropping materials into material editor.

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
06-30-2009 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarora Offline

Dang, forgot, if your editing models (in mesh editor) to choose/find mesh materials, use "Material List" (ctrl + m).

Then find the material name (usually blank texture in the list) and right click it to edit it, rest is as above.

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
06-30-2009 02:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Chaplaindm Offline

Thank you for the detailed replies! I will try this in a couple of minutes and will let you know how it goes.

Chaplain
06-30-2009 03:56 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

It worked like a charm! What I was struggling with was the saving of the material. I kept thinking that when the "Material" box popped up that I could not use the "Mesh Editor" commands. So I kept trying to save it in the "Materials" window.

Thank you for the help!

Chaplain
06-30-2009 04:30 PM
Sarora Offline

NP smile

I myself am currently learning this engine aswell, after getting some nice answers from the creator of some questions i had, we desided to go with this engine for our project.

So, we will most likely purchase it in a couple of days.

I however still dont approve about having a polish forum section, polish people usually DO speak english (russians however is another case normally), so i dont know why they need such a forum, and it splits the members up, but thats the only minus i actually have in this intire engine/forum/support ect.

But, as i said, we are going with this engine now, so im learning like a madman smile

06-30-2009 04:41 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

Ok, now I need some further clarification. I was able to add the textures to the material list. All the textures were simple "diffuse" textures but there was a second folder that had the "normal" files for each texture (the blue looking ones). My understanding is that for painting the ground and mountains you would really only use a diffuse texture.

But now I am about to add the wall textures. Is it at this point I would merge the diffuse texture with the normal to get a more realistic look? Lastly, I have some more textures that come with a diffuse texture, a normal, a height map, and a spectacular!

I am reading up on all this stuff but it still is a little too much. :?

Hope I am not asking too many questions but I want to get started right!

Thank You,
Chaplain
06-30-2009 05:10 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

please keep your textures in the following naming order:

Code:
*.*   specifies color    map (for example "image.png")
   *.n.* specifies normal   map (for example "image.n.png")
   *.b.* specifies bump     map (for example "image.b.png")
   *.s.* specifies specular map (for example "image.s.png")
   *.g.* specifies glow     map (for example "image.g.png")
   *.a.* specifies alpha    map (for example "image.a.png")

then all you need to do is select all textures at once and drag and drop them to the material window smile just like on the Mesh Editor\ general usage video here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.esenthel.com/?id=tool/mesh_editor/general_usage">http://www.esenthel.com/?id=tool/mesh_e ... eral_usage</a><!-- m -->
06-30-2009 06:05 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

Just did it and WOW, what a diference. I never realized that all these could be combined.

Thank you both for all the help.

Chaplain
06-30-2009 06:28 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

[Image: house1.jpg]

I am busy uploading textures and objects into the engine. I took a few minutes to build a simple scene.

I need some advice.

First- how do you insert a sky and sun? I saw the tutorial with the sun rising and setting. Do I add code or it is already pre-programmed somewhere?

Second- how do I get the tree leaves to look like leavesi nstead of bill boards?

Lastly- When I get the sun and sky, will I automatically get the shadows?

Thank You,
Chaplain
07-01-2009 03:34 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

Quote:First- how do you insert a sky and sun? I saw the tutorial with the sun rising and setting. Do I add code or it is already pre-programmed somewhere?
You need to insert the codes for the sky and sun (like in the tutorials).

Quote:Second- how do I get the tree leaves to look like leavesi nstead of bill boards?
do you mean that you have no transparencies?
you should have an alpha map while drag and dropping the textures to the material.

Quote:Lastly- When I get the sun and sky, will I automatically get the shadows?
yes, shadows are enabled by default.
07-01-2009 10:51 AM
Chaplaindm Offline

Ok, you answered my questions.

I have never added any code so expect a couple of questions of where and how to add it.

As far as the tree leaves, I will try to load the material again. This time with the Alpha map. However, I have never used an Alpha map before but i'll give it a go!

Thank You,
Chaplain
07-01-2009 02:11 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

Ok, I need some more help. I can't figure out how to add the Alpha map. Do I switch from default to Alpha test? Also, what is the normal extension to the alpha map?

Also, is there a command to place items on the ground after you insert them?

Thank You,
Chaplain
07-02-2009 04:17 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

yes you need an alpha map (image.a.jpg for example), make sure it's a 1 channel image.

after you drag and drop the textures which contain the alpha map the technique should automatically switch to AlphaTest and the material "A" (alpha) parameter should be a little lower to 0.9

let me know if that helps.

as for the second question - what exactly do you mean by that? do you mean by that programatically adding objects? check out the "game basics" tutorials, there is one where you place objects when pressing the space key
07-02-2009 10:32 AM
Chaplaindm Offline

Worked like a charm!

Now, I am looking to try and add the sun and clouds to the scene. I am looking over the tutorials to see what to do.

Where do I go to "add the code?" I can find the "wrld" file in the "data" folder but do I need to find a file for my world that ends in a C++ of "source" like the tutorials?

Like I said, I am totally new to the programming side and this is going to be the first time I ever write and code.

Thank You,
Chaplain
07-02-2009 04:55 PM