About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Global collaborative world building not working
dragonfly3 Offline

Global collaborative world building not working
I've been trying to figure out what is wrong for the past 2 1/2 hours and I'm at a loss. I followed the video exactly and it just won't work.

I was viewing my team member's computer remotely so I am positive that it was done correctly.

I opened the editor on my computer, my team member opened the editor on his. I opened the data server and clicked resolve for global address. I copied it. I connected and it showed number of connections: 1.

My team member connected and the data server showed number of connections: 2.

We both loaded the sample.world which had been previously saved in our my game folders.

First test-
I placed a tree. Then clicked synchronize-->all
(team member had same tree in his data folder)
Team member clicked synchronize-->all
No tree appeared. No changes whatsoever

Second test-
I created a hill in the terrain.
clicked synchronize-->all
team member clicked synchronize-->all
No hill appeared. No changes whatsoever

Third test-
I painted a material on the terrain
team member clicked synchronize-->all
No material painted appeared. No changes whatsoever

Fourth test-
Team member painted a material on the terrain
I clicked synchronize-->all
No material painted appeared. No changes whatsoever.

So we gave up for the night.

Are we missing a step? Does the global collaborative world building work or do you have to be in your own local network to use it? If we can be in totally different states and use it, can someone please help me to understand how?
06-15-2011 05:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Global collaborative world building not working
were you editing world with the same filename (path relative to DataPath)?
06-15-2011 11:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dragonfly3 Offline

Yes, the world was ../my documents/my game/data/world/sample.world on both of our computers. "my game" may have been capitalized on his computer, I'm not sure if that would affect it. We of course have different user names on our respective computers. EE SDK folder & tools have the same path on both of our computers, and we both updated the engine right before starting our attempts.
06-15-2011 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

it should work ok, I just tested this, by running 2 instances from separate folders on my computer. capitalization is not important.

did you both had "DataPath" selected to "../my documents/my game/data"?

editor menu top left button "change data path"

can you open your "data server storage" folder (should be generated by default in the tools folder next to "data server.exe") and view the contents - attach screen of the files inside.
06-15-2011 08:51 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

Yes, we both had the data path selected to ../my documents/my game/ data.

I have tested this on my own personal computer with the local address it gives and it works that way. But when we tried 2 different computers in 2 entirely different states with the global address, that's when it would not work.

The contents inside of my "Data Server Storage" folder go 7 folders deep with multiple folders so it would take way too many screenshots and be difficult to organize them here so I've created a tree:

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2011 12:51 AM by dragonfly3.)
06-16-2011 12:49 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Is one of You editing world:
Data path/world/sample.world
And other editing:
Data path/world/edit/sample.world
?
06-17-2011 11:55 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

That might be what it is. I won't have a chance to check it until tuesday night. I will post an update when I do. Thanks smile
06-19-2011 02:35 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

That's what the problem was, thanks! smile
06-22-2011 03:32 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

I'm having this same problem again, only this time the pathing is correct. We are both working from the Data/world/edit folder with the same .world.

We are both working on the same internet connection (wifi). We tried using the data server on my computer and on his. Both showed the exact same local address and the exact same global address. I could connect locally when the data server was running on my computer. He couldn't connect globally. He could connect locally when running the data server on his computer but I couldn't connect globally. I tried connecting 2 editors on my computer and they both connected.

I'm at a total loss this time. We tried many times. The username and password are correct and in the text file. We are working in the same data paths. We both have did the autoupdate before we started.

The global connection just won't work. We even tried using the local connection address to see if it would work and it didn't.

does this have anything to do with us being on the same wifi connection with the same address? Any other ideas as to why it won't work?
08-10-2011 07:50 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

So you did try both connecting using local address yes?
what is the local address? 127.0.. or 192...?
if it's 127. then you'll need to manually check local IP from Data Server computer, right click on your network settings, search in properties for IP address starting with 192.
later use that IP followed by :port for the secondary computer
08-10-2011 09:59 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

Yes, we tried with both the global and local address. The local address was a 127.

I checked the IP manually and I have 5 listed (2 TCP and 3 UDP), all beginning with 192, and 3 different ports. Which one do I use, or does it matter?
08-10-2011 10:55 PM
Dandruff Offline

Go to run, cmd, type in ipconfig.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : local ip
08-11-2011 12:25 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

and use that ip appended with ":port" where port is what the Data Server displays
08-11-2011 12:28 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

I haven't had a chance to try this yet. My world designer decided to work on a separate .world for our game instead of collaborative world building. But I will try to test this out soon so that I can post the results in case anyone else ever has the same issue.

Thanks for all of the help smile
08-20-2011 05:32 AM