About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Few question if i may :)
Sarora Offline

Few question if i may :)
Hi all.

I've been following this engine for along time, and i keep getting more impressed (also because of the size of the team alone hehe), but i got, as i said, a few questions smile

Here we go.

1) As i understand it, the engine does not come with source code (as such), but the 200$ one does come with some source code, and the question is :
- Can you add third party c++ librarys of any kind (like volumetric clouds lib, ocean lib or w/e) to the engine with the 200$ engine license.

2) Do you get the editors source code (for implementing your own game specific data into it if need arrives) ?.

3) If you find a bug or something critical missing in a non changeable file (lib or something), how long does it usually take to get support and it fixed/into the engine ?.

4) The current download version, does it contain the beta editor thats mentioned in other posts ?

5) How does your system handle occlusion culling, does it render anything invisible / behind objects, landscape behind mountains ect ?

We already purchased a 1000$ engine, but found out it does not support streaming terrains (wich is all important for our project), so we discovered this one, and is considering buying it, but we have to have some things changed that has previous cost us alot of money (since we are paying this out of our own pockets).

May have other questions along the line, but these are good for a start smile

Thanks smile

EDIT: Added question 5.

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
06-27-2009 10:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: Few question if i may :)
Hi and welcome to the forum smile

1. In the 200$ license you're able to create your custom shaders. this allow to render the Mesh models using custom algorithms, but things like integrating 3rd party libraries (custom volumetric clouds, ocean) that would depend on the complexity of the library.

typically what you'll be able to do is program the vertex shaders and pixel shaders for the mesh surfaces drawing.

2. no,
however you're already able to put custom data in the worlds, by using objects (you can set both custom class and set of parameters)

currently I'm working on making the World Editor programmable (not by including its source codes, but by including its headers), which will allow to include any possible custom data in the world areas (not only custom objects as present).

3. bugs are always fixed in first priorities. small problems are usually fixed within an hour. more complex problems may take up to a day.
altough bugs are found very rarely smile

4. yes, current download has all the features that the latest beta had. however I still havent finished some things on which I'm woking on:
-multiplayer world editing
-supplying the codes needed for making the world editor programmable

this functions are currently in development and should be available in the following days.

5. the engine uses, frustum culling, early z, and area sorting to improve early z.

hope that helped.
06-27-2009 10:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarora Offline

Thank you for the answers.

About 3rd party library's in question, we had considered:

http://www.green-ear.com/ (ingame voicecom).

For ocean/water, could be something like this one http://ocean3dinteractive.com but still undesided.

Forget clouds smile, as we will be using ala Diablo 3 camera style for our game, we wont be seeing clouds beside in water reflections perhaps.

So, in general, it could be any library.

Also, i would need a way to load and place/move/delete/command objects via networking, thats possible too right (as any other multiplayer/mo/mmo game) ?

Again, thanks for answering these questions smile

Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.
06-27-2009 11:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarora Offline

Actually, in the end, i think my question becomes in one sentence, "how limited do our game creation get, when we dont get full engine source of this engine" smile.

While our game plan require so much i coudnt even list it on 1 page here, including alot of custom character custimization, networking, comprehensive inventory system, particles and so much more (most is supported by default on the engine though), some might not be, and would be custom for our game (not something you could reuse in another game).

We are considering buying the 200$ license (perhaps later 1000$ license), but are concerned a bit about the limitations of a non source engine.

Is there a listing/help file anywhere, that list what you get access to in the 200$ engine (whats part of the source code, like renderer, loop, resources, api calls, ect) for implementing own things like library's and so on (maybe you should add a few of those things to the source access, only what is needed of that code).

Btw, did you get over the floating point precision error that comes at these large scales (getting unprecise at higher numbers) ?

Thanks again, i know i ask alot, but we spend over 2000$ on engines so far that has 1 or 2 things that hinders our developement.

06-28-2009 12:54 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi Again smile

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.green-ear.com/">http://www.green-ear.com/</a><!-- m --> - I dont think there should be any problems (if the library would require access to some directsound interfaces - let me know and I'll make them available for you)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ocean3dinteractive.com/">http://ocean3dinteractive.com/</a><!-- m --> - too bad the links to download the demo from that page are dead (I wanted to see how it looks)
can't say for sure, for example writing a simple shader for the water could be easy, but if you'd like more features (like softing the water edges) would require access to the Depth Buffer which isn't currently provided, you'd have to try it yourself, and then let me know what exactly your desired shader would require access to (like for example the Depth Buffer or something else), and then I could provide you with access to the features which aren't currently available

Quote:Also, i would need a way to load and place/move/delete/command objects via networking, thats possible too right (as any other multiplayer/mo/mmo game) ?
yes, you can do whatever you want with the objects

Quote:"how limited do our game creation get, when we dont get full engine source of this engine"
as for the game engine and objects itself, you have absolutely no limitations.
each object can be of a different class, and you can manually program the object class updating, drawing, saving, loading and other custom functions
Esenthel Engine has been specifically design to provide maximum freedom in terms of programming your own game mechanics smile

Quote:Is there a listing/help file anywhere, that list what you get access to in the 200$ engine (whats part of the source code, like renderer, loop, resources, api calls, ect) for implementing own things like library's and so on (maybe you should add a few of those things to the source access, only what is needed of that code).
it is stated here : <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.esenthel.com/?id=buy">http://www.esenthel.com/?id=buy</a><!-- m -->
you get the sources for the basic game object classess (you get the source code of every method which is described in the headers of the specified class (like 'create','save','load','update','draw',...))

Quote:Btw, did you get over the floating point precision error that comes at these large scales (getting unprecise at higher numbers) ?
I haven't experienced any stability issues with the floating points
06-28-2009 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sarora Offline

Thanks you.

It all sounds good, i have send some links out to the other team members to check out (they help pay for all software we are using).

We will probably end up buying it, support seems to be fast for things (noticed the shadow issue and the quick solve) and such.

So thank you again for taking your time..

06-28-2009 05:50 PM