About Store Forum Documentation Contact

loading world results in blank screen
uffo Offline

loading world results in blank screen
helloes!
I've created a world with world editor and placed some objects and build it, but everytime I try to load it with the engine the result is just black screen with no warnings and it has to be shut down from the task manager.
Now I've narrowed down the problem, it occurs only when there's no "Access" flags. Map loads fine only when the objects' Access is set to "Embed into terrain" (what do the acces thingies mean anyway?).
I noticed the objects in tutorials aren't set with any access settings, but they still load just fine.
Any idea what might cause this?
06-26-2009 04:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Re: loading world results in blank screen
Hi,

I think maybe this is a conflict between custom enums for object types?

please make sure that the world editor has the path to the game data with enums which you're using later in the visual studio to compile.

Edit: I'll be uploading today an updated version of the engine with slightly different object loading.
You can also start the game in debug mode, and then when you have the error use "menu\debug\break all" and show me the screenshot with visible call stack and code position.
06-26-2009 10:58 AM
uffo Offline

I used the same enums as in tutorials and the call stack is completely empty, no errors, no autos, no locals. just freezed blank screen.
this is something that is totally out of my league, starting anew is still aa option so let's put this to the rest.
sorry for late reply, took a tiny break from programming as I always do with a devastating setback ;D
07-04-2009 04:49 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

does the worlds from the SDK load ok?
if so what is different from your world and those from the SDK?
are you using the latest engine version?
07-04-2009 05:53 PM
uffo Offline

All worlds from SDK works perfectly and I'm using latest version of the engine.
could it be the objects I've created?

edit:
apparently so. I added one of my cottages to SDK's sample world and set it to OBJ_CHR and the world didn't load.

edit 2:
does the base.obj have something to do with this? you could write up a step-by-step detailed tutorial how to add new custom objects.

edit 3:
apparently it does, according the manual? still I'm a bit astray after I've read it. detailed tutorial would still be nice for guys like me pfft
07-05-2009 11:12 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

why are you setting a cottage as OBJ_CHR? obj chr is meant for characters only.
please add cottage as OBJ_STATIC

ill check this tho
07-05-2009 12:43 PM
uffo Offline

the cottage was just a placeholder until I get my character (MEGACANNON) ready smile
07-05-2009 01:11 PM