About Store Forum Documentation Contact

client server achitecture
bart1234 Offline

client server achitecture
a while ago i started working on a mmo in esenthel but since i am not verry expirienced with networking i was wondering if anyone knows some good e-books/ other material about the use of networking and mainly about client server architecture

for the record i build this mmo for educational purposes its not yet a serious project i work on it by myself and try to learn as mutch as possible about game programming. and perhaps i nthe future i will get myself a good team.

best regards

bart hertman
09-12-2011 08:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline

RE: client server achitecture
I am now reading the following books about multiplayer games and their underlying structure and how you can best tackle this MMO of yours (800 pages each minimum):

- Programming multiplayer games / by Andrew Mulholland and Teijo Hakala

- Multiplayer game programming / by Todd Barron

- NETWORKING AND ONLINE GAMES: UNDERSTANDING AND ENGINEERING MULTIPLAYER INTERNET GAMES / by Grenville Armitage, Mark Claypool and Philip Branch

An MMO even for a school project is a big thing to do. Getting the Personal License gives you acces to a basic framework of an MMO created in Esenthel. The book by Todd Barron talks about implementing MySQL (therewith accompanied php) to make the game web-active as well.

Good luck mate (you need it smile ) !!!

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
09-12-2011 04:48 PM
bart1234 Offline

Thx alot i will get those books as soon as possible i'm looking forward to it

and my project is not for my school altough i currently am following programming school i just want to learn about game programming especially online games in my free time i know its a big project but i like to create my own things even if it takes me a light year pfft i already coded basic server now i am working on client side connecting to server and logging in

anyway thx for the books il read them well.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 09:08 PM by bart1234.)
09-12-2011 09:05 PM
BlackHornet Offline

You might check out as well: Massively Multiplayer Game Development 1 and/or 2 - edited by Thor Alexander

Think it is a really good book covering lots of single elements.

Urbanity Online: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Urbanity-Online/162454237136358
Join the Esenthel IRC Channel @ Freenode: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=##Esenthel
09-12-2011 10:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bart1234 Offline

thanks blackhornet il check them out to
09-13-2011 08:45 AM