About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Texture creation....
Wolfsong73 Offline

Texture creation....
Hello all...

So, to preface this, I have looked at the wiki, I have searched the forums and I have tried to figure it out on my own, but nothing has gotten me the info I'm looking for..

In short... Is there a walkthrough on how to create and properly save each of the different texture types for a material?

For example, I'm trying to create a specular map for a terrain material, and no matter what I do, it's not working. I have it named properly (grass.s.png, etc) but it doesn't work. If it shows up at all, it automatically goes into the Base channel.

I see that it's supposed to be 1 channel, and I assume that means it's only supposed to use one color channel instead of RGB... and I've tried doing that but, again, to no avail.

Can anyone shed some light on how this is accomplished, or perhaps refer me to a location that goes into more detail? The wiki here is a bit lacking in terms of explaining how to do these things.

Thanks!
09-24-2011 07:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Texture creation....
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=tool/model_editor/materials

if after video tut, you still can't get it to work,
please attach your files, and steps to reproduce the issue

(note: specular will not be available in Simple Renderer)
09-24-2011 07:53 PM
Wolfsong73 Offline

I'm doing exactly what's shown in the video. Naming the file grass.s.png and dragging it, along with the base texture, onto the material editor window. The only thing that shows up is the base material (diffuse).

I'm not reporting this as a bug. My assumption is that I'm doing something wrong when saving the image file for the specular map. I was wondering if there's a more detailed walkthrough that explains what settings might be necessary when saving the spec map, etc. I see that, according to the Wiki entry, specular textures use 1 channel... I *think* that might be the issue... maybe I'm saving in the wrong mode or something.

That's why I was wondering if there's a more detailed tutorial somewhere that doesn't just quickly demonstrate the steps (as in the video you linked) but in terms of explaining how each texture should be set up, etc.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2011 08:26 PM by Wolfsong73.)
09-24-2011 08:25 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(09-24-2011 07:53 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  if after video tut, you still can't get it to work,
please attach your files, and steps to reproduce the issue
09-25-2011 09:53 AM
Wolfsong73 Offline

... Really?

Look, I can be snarky on a forum and quote myself, too...

Wolfsong73 Wrote:Can anyone shed some light on how this is accomplished, or perhaps refer me to a location that goes into more detail? The wiki here is a bit lacking in terms of explaining how to do these things.

Wolfsong73 Wrote:I was wondering if there's a more detailed walkthrough that explains what settings might be necessary when saving the spec map, etc.

Wolfsong73 Wrote:That's why I was wondering if there's a more detailed tutorial somewhere that doesn't just quickly demonstrate the steps (as in the video you linked) but in terms of explaining how each texture should be set up, etc.

I'm very clearly asking if there are more detailed tutorials somewhere that do a better job of explaining the requirements and steps involved for creating and importing each texture type than what is shown in the video.

I presume you want me to post the stuff so you can tell me "you're doing it wrong and here's why". But that's not exactly my point.

I'm not asking "What am I doing wrong?".

I'm asking if there is a resource somewhere that goes into detail explaining how to set it all up correctly in the first place. Something I can bookmark, reference and go back to when I need to double check something or refresh my memory down the road. Something I can refer to to help myself in such situations, rather than having to post something here and then waiting for a response each and every time.

What happens if I run into an issue with the format for another texture type I'm trying to use for some other application? I have to post here, upload files, and then wait to see if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong? That's a bit counter-intuitive compared to just going to a single resource that lays it all out in detail in the first place, don't you think?

If the answer to my request for more detailed information is "No, there is nothing else. The video is all we have for now", then tell me that.

Don't post snarky replies quoting yourself - particularly when what you quoted from yourself isn't exactly a helpful response to what I was asking. It's rather rude and unnecessary.

Thank you.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 01:54 PM by Wolfsong73.)
11-11-2011 01:49 PM