About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Hiding Mesh into Half for Indoor Map
dylantan Offline

Hiding Mesh into Half for Indoor Map
Hello,

We have a major headache and we really dont know where to start. What we trying to do is when inside a building (example), caves, or dungeon, and the player zoom out, it will cut or hide the mesh into half. I will give you example from a game called Dragon Age:

1st Example. This is when the camera are zoom in.
[Image: Full1.jpg]

But when you zoom out it will hide/cut the mesh into half
[Image: Half.jpg]

2nd Example
[Image: Full2.jpg]
When Zoom out
[Image: Half2.jpg]

My Question is, how can we achieve this same effect which allow us to hide or cut the mesh when zooming out without physically have cut the mesh? or rather, what is the proper way that we could achieve this? Would really appreciate any tips, or advice as how we could achieve this. Thank you in advance.
09-25-2011 07:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Driklyn Offline

RE: Hiding Mesh into Half for Indoor Map
Perhaps CSG?

EsenthelEngineSDK\Tutorials\Source\Advanced\3 - Mesh, Shaders\Mesh\Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG).cpp
09-25-2011 08:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

The easiest way would be to have a separate mesh for the roof, which you just hide (i.e. don't render) when zoomed out. Alternatively you could use a clipping plane. Haven't looked into this in EE though, so not sure if it supports it. The screen shots from Dragon Age suggests the former as there appears to be clean breaks at the top of the columns and walls.
09-25-2011 08:09 AM
Esenthel Online
Administrator

Just use a separate mesh or meshpart for the roof and hide it
09-25-2011 09:56 AM
dylantan Offline

(09-25-2011 09:56 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Just use a separate mesh or meshpart for the roof and hide it

Yeah that could work, but imagine we have a huge dungeon or cave, making that would take time. We have all the pieces ready and reworking on the mesh again would definately slow us down again. I was thinking if we could do like from certain selected Height onwards on the top of the mesh, it would be transparent, would this work?
09-25-2011 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

You can split them inside the Editor through
mesh->vertex-face->split-Split selected into new part
after you have selected the required top vertex/faces you split them into their own separate part.
Doesn't need too much reworking if you have the cave built up from sets of meshes
09-25-2011 02:26 PM
dylantan Offline

(09-25-2011 02:26 PM)Zervox Wrote:  You can split them inside the Editor through
mesh->vertex-face->split-Split selected into new part
after you have selected the required top vertex/faces you split them into their own separate part.
Doesn't need too much reworking if you have the cave built up from sets of meshes

Thank you very much Zervox. We never actually tried that method. And now that we have tried it, the result was somewhat mixed. Because when you zoom in, the cut or hidden parts are still missing, we have no clue as how we could get the full model back.
09-26-2011 02:03 PM
Zervox Offline

one question, how are you handling the hiding of the part right now?
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2011 02:24 PM by Zervox.)
09-26-2011 02:24 PM
Rabishan Offline

i think we can do this by disabling camera collision. but still need to figure out whether it collided with roof or some other components of the mesh. but i don't know how consistent it will be. any suggestions for this?

thanks
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2011 09:51 AM by Rabishan.)
09-27-2011 09:36 AM