About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
225$/mo

Memory Hole
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Memory Hole
Hi, is anyone experiencing a sort of memory hole with any of the EE apps? When I have the server.exe running (EE MMO server, etc) or the Data Server, the memory set (working, private) keep increasing over a couple of hours. After about 3 hours or so of run time, the memory usage more than doubles.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2011 04:21 PM by aceio76.)
10-08-2011 04:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Memory Hole
I only looked for a few minutes, but it's all steady here. Even after going into the WE/Code E/Data browser.
It will jump up a bit (since I'm opening them for the first time (in a while)), and then it stops.
10-08-2011 04:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Have you tried leaving the data server up for over an hour? Better yet, if you have a server code, try with that as well. My data server went up from 29k to 299k in 3.5 hours. I'm tracking specific numbers for the game server too and I will submit some real numbers soon.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2011 06:00 PM by aceio76.)
10-08-2011 05:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

My game server went from 30k to 408k in a little over 2 hours. I wonder if this is only while in debug mode...

www.thinkplaystudios.com
10-08-2011 07:01 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Guys, I hope there is a simple fix for this. I can't run the data server or the mmo server for more than a day without crashing (running out of memory).

www.thinkplaystudios.com
10-09-2011 03:39 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

can you attach the screen with the "Data Server" error message, along with screen from Windows Task Manager, where I can see the memory usage.
10-09-2011 04:39 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Here are the screenshots. Please look at Data Server.exe and GameServer.exe.

Starting--
[Image: memhole01.jpg]

>2.5 hrs--
[Image: memhole02.jpg]

I'm waiting for the error message and I will post that as well.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
10-09-2011 07:46 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

I have to wait a number of hours before I can get an error message, so for the meantime, I am going to post the latest screenshot:

[Image: memhole03.jpg]

Error message might get posted tomorrow.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
10-09-2011 10:42 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Error message, finally.

The message is similar for both the Data Server.exe and Gameserver.exe.

[Image: memhole04.jpg]

www.thinkplaystudios.com
10-10-2011 02:29 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I'm asking about Data Server:
-what amount of memory does it reach upon exiting?
-does it generate any message box? (like "can't allocate xx memory" ?)

I will investigate the growing memory usage of the Data Server.

My Ineisis Online Server app is running flawlessly for many weeks, and its memory usage is 28MB.

The error of your "gameserver.exe" may however be related to a bug in your codes, you should run it in debug mode.
10-10-2011 07:00 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Hi EE,

I've seen data server go up as high as 2,600,000 K in memory and get a similar error message like above, but instead says "Data Server.exe has stopped responding". The error message *might* be caused by the fact that the application is first run under terminal services and when the RDP session times out, it might not page the memory properly. However, I think because of the constant growing memory set, the RDP session time out only agitates it even further.

As for the game server, this behavior is repeatable even with the *fresh* MMO server.exe from the download, so I don't think so. If you want me to give you screenshots of the MMO server doing this as well, I can provide. I'm also open to suggestions if you have memory management best practices relative to how the EE SDK is used.

Just let me know what else you need from me.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
10-10-2011 08:42 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I will do some manual tests on the Data Server (run it for few hours and observe memory usage).

Quote:The error message *might* be caused by the fact that the application is first run under terminal services
what happens to Data Server if you don't start it from terminal services?
but just run it manually by 2xclicking on the icon?
will its memory usage become normal?
10-10-2011 09:05 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Running directly still consume memory the same way, it looks like. I only ran it for about 30 mins and it does increase the memory set and not give it back. I ran the MMO server just to test, and it is doing the same thing, but seems to use more memory faster than the Data Server.

I think the real issue is the memory consumption and not the error, because when the RDP session times out, the graphics capabilities switches from terminal to console (which has real video support), and that might be the cause of the error.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
10-10-2011 09:40 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

New Information: It is clear to me now that the continuous memory consumption stems from something that is graphics related. If I run the Data Server or gameserver as minimized apps, the memory set *does not* grow continuously. If I let it run as an application in focus and let it consume more memory, then proceed to minimize the application, whatever memory it held stays as the consumed memory set. I am still running the applications as minimized for several hours now and the memory footprint held since I last left it minimized.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2011 08:51 PM by aceio76.)
10-11-2011 08:49 PM
Driklyn Offline

Just wondering: Are you using the APP_WORK_IN_BACKGROUND flag (i.e. App.flag = APP_WORK_IN_BACKGROUND;)? If not, that could be the reason why the memory footprint stays the same when minimized. Without that flag, the app only runs while it is in focus.
10-12-2011 12:20 AM