About Store Forum Documentation Contact

data server warning
yvanvds Offline

data server warning
Hi,

while starting up the community project, I found out that users occasionally forget to change their data path from their own project to the community project before trying to sync with the data server.

This results in having files from their project being in the community project's data folder and is a bit of a bother to clean up afterwards.

It would be neat if there was a solution for this. Like a warning if more than 100 files are different, or perhaps a file with an ID, unique to the project, that has to be placed in the data folder before you can sync it.

Regards,

yvan
10-05-2011 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dandruff Offline

RE: data server warning
whoops grin

Yes, the ID idea would be great, or even just a small warning to tell the updater that the name of his parent folder of Data differs from that of the server's.
10-06-2011 07:36 AM
yvanvds Offline

Another problem we have is that deleted files keep popping up again after some syncs again. We think it has to do with different timezones.

And while i'm at it: it would be extra nice if people could leave a message on submit, about what they have changed. And perhaps a server option to send an email on submit, so we can notify developers of the change.
10-10-2011 11:51 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(10-10-2011 11:51 PM)yvanvds Wrote:  Another problem we have is that deleted files keep popping up again after some syncs again. We think it has to do with different timezones.
Data Server uses UTC time zones (everyone has the same).
can you let me know how to reproduce the issue in few steps?
10-12-2011 11:12 PM
Zervox Offline

Just having a different user deleting a file on the server and another user connect which have the old files to sync is enough to replicate, although it seems to differ
Steps
-Create DataServer
-Have two users on different computers which we believed was affected by timezone on local computer
-connect user1, delete a folder or file(both should have exactly the same files first)
-after deleting connect with user2 and press sync, which will just upload the deleted folder instead of deleting it locally.

from who is doing the last connection, even though the deleted file got removed recently the same file which could be 4 days ago on the client will get uploaded to the data server. meaning deleting is moot, this seems to especially affect folders on the data server.

Also experienced, that I did not have a Data folder, so when the editor created a new one, and after I connected to the dataserver all folders which the editor creates gets remade on the dataserver deleting all files subsequent from affected folder.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 11:38 PM by Zervox.)
10-12-2011 11:37 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

please wait for next sdk, I've prepared small fixes.
if they won't help, then please provide packed (7z/rar/zip) sample "data" folder with few files, with exact steps how to reproduce the issue.
10-14-2011 04:52 PM