About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Server programming language
Icewind Offline

Server programming language
Hi, just wanted to ask if it is possible (well i suppose it is) to write the server for a Esenthel based multiplayer game in a different language than C++.

And what would be the drawback to not use C++?
10-15-2011 10:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline

RE: Server programming language
You can use the code editor inside the editor itself with a combination between c# and c++ ?

Esenthel Engine is based on C++, and that is what makes it that powerful.

SnowCloud Entertainment - We are recruiting!
http://www.sc-entertainment.com
10-15-2011 12:31 PM
Icewind Offline

I think you misunderstood. The client will be in C++ (with the Esenthel engine). But for the server I would prefer a different language than C++.

But anyway thanks for your reply smile
10-15-2011 02:03 PM
Dwight Offline

What kind of language did you have in mind for the server?

10-15-2011 02:49 PM
Icewind Offline

I'm currently looking into different possibilities.

I would use Java as I have a lot of experience with it, possibly using the RedDwarf server as this would remove a lot of work.

On the other hand Erlang seems to be quite interesting and suitable for a large (massive) amount of players.
10-15-2011 03:15 PM
kulesz Offline

I think it is not possible.
10-15-2011 03:58 PM
Icewind Offline

Well that would suck... But why exactly? The server doesn't really have any information that would be hard tied to Esenthel?
10-15-2011 05:43 PM
Dwight Offline

I'm not quite sure here anymore, as I find the capabilities and abilities of this C++ driven engine virtually unlimited: you can include whatever you like, it just depends on the user.

Let's wait for Esenthel, I think he can answer your question(s) best smile

10-16-2011 09:31 AM
Seba Offline

I think l2j from linage is written using java and client linage 2 is c++. But then you can't use esenthel on server side. If you can do this. Write simple server and try to connect using esenthel client.
10-16-2011 11:29 AM
Sadahar Offline

I just coded my own server from scratch in C#.

You dont have to use c++ at all.. why would you? grin
You have a socket connection passing bytes, you have 100% freedom to use the lang you prefer.

Althou, using EE in server side will give you support for world, physic checks, and so on... but they can be achieved without the engine smile

On my side, developing in C# is just MUCH faster, and the performance lose is pretty inexistant.
Also a large project in C# I feel its way easier to maintain...

PD: If you dont have a high coding knowledge... I'd tell you not to do this ^^
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2011 01:25 PM by Sadahar.)
10-16-2011 01:20 PM
Icewind Offline

Well i have about 10 years of coding experience (9 of whom are with Java). So I feel pretty confident about writing things from scratch.

Well I thought so too that the server doesn't have to be in C++ with EE, just wanted to confirm this.

Speed of development would be a major criterion for me not to write in C++ and large project maintainance is surely not that easy with C++.

Thanks everyone for your replies!
10-16-2011 07:54 PM
JonathonA Offline

You mentioned "speed of development" as being a major criterion for you I would possibly consider C# since it is regarded by some as a language for rapid application development but that is up to you to decide.

Not entirely certain why you think large project maintainance is not that easy in C++, that isn't really language-related.

Ultimately, and as you are already aware communication between server and client is unlikely to be affected by different language choices for the server/client. Am I right in assuming you don't intend on using the Esenthel Engine to power your server, hence the question? Or have I got that wrong?
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2011 08:20 PM by JonathonA.)
10-16-2011 08:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Icewind Offline

That would have been the second part of my question. What the drawback would be to not use the EE for the server.

As for C#, i guess that would be a possibility too. Getting to know C# when one already knows Java won't be that hard wink. On the other hand RedDwarf server seems to be a quite intersting and useful thing that would reduce the workload even further.
10-16-2011 08:43 PM
JonathonA Offline

C# and Java are distinctly different languages for many reasons, I have no doubt you can learn the language, don't assume it won't be hard though wink

Well ultimately if you dont use EE then you are going to have to account for a great deal; physics, world/object state and so on.

Depends how highly you value speed of development since you are still intending on learning a new language in the process, your speed of development is going to be set back by that.
10-16-2011 08:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Icewind Offline

So the EE would keep track of the object created and destroyed in the world?

So in addition to that I would have to write some methods to load the gameworld, i.e all the Game::Areas?
10-16-2011 09:23 PM