About Store Forum Documentation Contact

A few problems
Chaplaindm Offline

A few problems
Hello!

A couple of questions.

#1- I began working my game using the SDK folder. I copied the DATA folder when I realized I might lose all my data during an update and named it my project name. I kept the SKD in the old location. However, after relaunching the World Editor and re-saving the world in the new location the world editor is still pointing to the SKD asset folder. Is there a place I can reset the search path?

#2- Even before moving my project I caouldn't get the object brush to work. I can insert single objects just fine. However, as soon as I place them in the object brush I just get the empty capsule.

#3- I tried using the editor.settings and the other text files in the tools folder to turn on fog and water. However, it doesn't change anything in the editor. Do I have to build the project to get the changes to take effect?

Thank You,
Chaplain
10-28-2011 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Driklyn Offline

RE: A few problems
1) Menu (down arrow in top-left corner) > Change Data Path or delete Path.txt

2) Sounds like a data path issue to me..

3) Why edit the file? You can change them in the editor. First icon on the top-right while in World Editor mode (looks like a sun) or press F9.
10-28-2011 06:01 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

Problem #1- I was able to follow your advice and reset the Data path. Although it is now the default directory, the engine doesn' recognize assets. I am thinking that starting a new project is more than just copying the data folder. I can see the assets in Windows Explorer, but when I drill down in "Loaa" World" it recognizes the folders but not the .world.

Problem #2- Same issue, although I seem to have the same files in my asset folders as the engine, I can't use them in an object brush. Does anyone know exactly how the files to be set up for this to work? Does it have to be an .obj or is it supposed to be the .mesh? Do I have to have the material files in the materials folder or can I have them in the Objects folder.

Problem #3- SOLVED! Thanks for the help Driklyn.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2011 07:47 AM by Chaplaindm.)
10-29-2011 07:45 AM
Chaplaindm Offline

I'll try that. I know that my laptop has had a lot of issues like this. Anyway, it is probably best practice anyway.

Chaplain
10-29-2011 05:49 PM
Driklyn Offline

2) Object Brush uses .obj files, not .mesh files. Materials can be wherever. The .obj must have the Mesh path set, of course. If you can load the .obj into the "Temp Object" window, insert it into the world, and have the mesh appear without having to edit/set any options in the window, I don't see why you should have any problems with the Object Brush (right-click to add objects, not insert; left-click to remove).
10-29-2011 11:18 PM
Chaplaindm Offline

It has to be a .obj? That is a surprise to me. I thought the .obj was just if you wanted to be able to base an object off of it. I didn't realize you needed to set up all your meshes as objects, especially since what I am trying to use in the object brushes have no physical bounds or animations- just static meshes.

I'll have to look up how to create the .obj.
10-30-2011 11:43 AM
Driklyn Offline

In the "Temp Object" window, just select File > Save. Then add the .obj to the Object Brush list by clicking Add.
10-31-2011 07:18 AM
Chaplaindm Offline

All problems are solved. Thanks for the help.

I created a tutorial to go along with what I learned. I probably make a few mistakes but I am sure it will help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chaplaindm#p...9vyVCd-mq4
10-31-2011 08:03 PM