About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Occluders
EthanC Offline

Occluders
Absolutely loving Esenthel so far (both the engine and the person pfft ) but at some point, there will need to be support for manually occluding things. Here are a couple ideas I had for options:

Geometry Occlusion: I'd prefer this option which would allow geometry to natively occlude faces obscured by it. This would allow interiors of buildings (which i'm currently not aware of how we will accomplish) as well as large objects such as mountains to occlude the city behind of it, drastically improving framerates.

Manual and Placeable Occluders: The ability to place "occluder planes" of some sort in the world would allow the artists to place these inside large objects or even city walls and effectivelly cull all faces of objects obscured by those walls, once again drastically improving framerates.

Zoning: Allowing us to create "zones" inside of buildings where there contents only show once the player is inside that zone would also be a huge help.
11-10-2011 09:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

RE: Occluders
Has been put on the roadmap some time back.
advanced occlusion culling (portals, ..)
11-11-2011 12:34 AM
EthanC Offline

Excellent! Hey if you have a moment, since you seem to be an esenthel pro from what i can see on the forums, if you wouldn't mind popping over to my thread about the "black sun" issue we're having and having a look, i'd appreciate it.

If you have time.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2011 12:54 AM by EthanC.)
11-11-2011 12:53 AM
b1s Offline

I would also like to say that having these features missing on the engine is probably the biggest issue the engine has at the moment. Would consider this to be the most important thing missing from achieving AAA quality products.
11-14-2011 11:52 AM
EthanC Offline

One thing I'd like to get the engine-maker's input on would be in reference to how I should structure the assets to work properly with whatever system they're cooking up.

Namely, should I have our buidlings authored with the entire exterior it's own mesh, then the interiors a seperate mesh? Or should the building (interior and exterior) be one mesh file and the occluders/zones will determine how much are visible?

I actually have a lot ready to go minus the knowledge of tieing them together like this in Esenthel.
11-18-2011 10:48 PM
michax Offline

Hardware occlussion culling/query is feature that i miss most.

Anibox
11-21-2011 11:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply