About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[Bug] Editor 64 build bad paths
fatcoder Offline

[Bug] Editor 64 build bad paths
I've just noticed that if I build my world using Editor 64, then the pathing doesn't work properly. I get a lot of invalid paths when calling Game::World.path().find() when it should be returning a valid path. If I build the world using either Editor or Editor DX10+, then the pathing works fine. I'm not sure if this is a recent bug with one of the recent updates as I haven't tried building my world with Editor 64 in a while.
11-19-2011 05:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: [Bug] Editor 64 build bad paths
Hi are you using latest sdk?
There was announcement 1 or 2 days ago about paths fix
I'll test 64 again in couple of hours
11-19-2011 10:24 AM
fatcoder Offline

Yes, using the latest version. I read all the version change announcements. If I build the world with Editor or Editor DX10+ it works fine. If I build the world with Editor 64 then pathing fails in-game. It usually fails when try to path across two areas. My test world is just a flat 2x2 area world with no objects.
11-19-2011 05:17 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I have did following test:
load Editor.exe
load paths.world (2x2 area)
clean all and play all - works fine (paths are displayed and searched correctly, keys P and \)
close Editor.exe

load Editor64
load paths.world
play last build (to use paths generated from 32 editor)
also work fine
then do clean all and build all, so the paths in the world are mady by 64 bit editor
also work fine

load Editor32 again
load the world
play last build (paths from editor64 are used)
also work fine

so I did the testing but it seems fine. can you check that test on your machine?
most importantly, can you reproduce the bug by using only the tools, not your code?
if so, please provide exact steps, with your sample world+objects
11-19-2011 08:21 PM
fatcoder Offline

OK, I have worked out that the bug only seems to exist in my project, using my test world, which was created before the most recent few updates. I have tried loading my test world into a fresh install of the SDK, but was unable to reproduce the problem. If I create a brand new world with Editor 64, then the problem goes away. So I'll just do that.

In saying that however, I've noticed what might be another bug. The Fully Block option for PathMesh doesn't seem to work when an object is scaled. Here are the steps to reproduce with a fresh install of the SDK.

1. Start a new world and insert one area.
2. Load the Rock object and insert it into the area.
3. Save the world, then build and play.
4. Press \ and notice the rock fully blocks the nav mesh as intended.
5. Escape out and now uniform scale the placed rock up in size.
6. Build and play.
7. Press \ and now notice that the nav mesh is not blocked under the rock.
11-20-2011 03:08 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

yes, for the moment fully block will not work for embedded objects that are so big that thay will span across multiple areas. (path type is not stored for big object meshes that need to be split)
11-20-2011 04:03 PM
fatcoder Offline

That's interesting as I am using embedded objects and spanning them across multiple areas without a problem? The issue seems to be with the scale of the object. Please take a look at the following screen shots. Note that this was all done with the default SDK install.

1. Here you can see the setup of the standard Rock object. I have placed it on the terrain, spanning two areas.

2. Now you can see that the rock correctly blocks the nav mesh. Note from the previous screen shot that the rock is embedded and is spanning two areas.

3. Now all I've done here is scale the rock up from 3.4 to 12.77.

4. After making the scale change, you can see that the rock no longer blocks the nav mesh.

5. However, I went back into the editor and lowered the scaled rock down into the terrain. It now fully blocks the nav mesh.

So it appears as though embedded objects do fully block the terrain, however there seems to be a bug relating to their scale. The bigger you scale them, the lower you have to place them into the terrain for them to block the nav mesh. I'm hoping this can be easily fixed as it affects my project since scaled objects cannot be placed correctly.
11-21-2011 02:10 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

4. is also correct
11-21-2011 12:33 PM
fatcoder Offline

Are you implying that screen shot 4 is also correct because of the cell size and controller size or something like that? If I increase the cell size, then the rocks correctly block out the nav mesh. I just don't understand why a walkable nav mesh is generated inside those rocks when set to Fully Block. I can't fit the player controller into those nav mesh spaces either, so they shouldn't be there right???

I've done a few more tests. See the following screen shots.

Here I've scaled the rocks up even bigger and moved them almost entirely under the terrain.

From this angle, you can see that the rocks clearly block out the nav mesh, but they are under the terrain? If I move the rocks up very slightly, then they suddenly stop block out the nav mesh. As previoulsy stated, the bigger you scale an object, the lower you have to place it under the terrain for it to block out the nav mesh correctly. This is clearly some sort of bug going on here?

In this next example, I have scaled the rocks up even bigger. Now suddenly it has started generating a walkable surface on the top???

(This post was last modified: 11-21-2011 03:48 PM by fatcoder.)
11-21-2011 02:12 PM