About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
345$/mo

[RESOLVED] World Editor syncing issues
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

[RESOLVED] World Editor syncing issues
We've been using the World Editor quite a bit, and every so often (too often), some changes made by another person is lost with another person editing the same world.

As I understand it, when you do a World Editor sync, it is only syncing changes to the world but is *not* the "built" copy of the world.

What are the proper steps to make sure that multiple people can make changes to the same world, Databrowser sync as well to get new objects created for use within the world, and still maintain the consistency of the changes of each person on the same world. So far, it seems that when someone does a Databrowser sysnc, it overwrites their local World editor changes with what's been sync'd from through the Databrowser.

I'm not sure if this is a bug yet, so I'd like to ask this way first.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011 04:35 PM by aceio76.)
11-30-2011 08:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Online
Administrator

RE: World Editor syncing issues
Hi, all syncing operates on Date of Modification of the file.

If you make a change to a file (mesh, or world area), and save it, the file gets current modification time.

If you sync with server:
modification times are compared between local and server computers.
if local is newer, it will overwrite server file
if server is newer, it will overwrite local file

if it's not working properly, you need to present to me exact step-by-step how to reproduce the issue.

for collaborative editing on the same world:
people should not work on the same areas at the same time, they should work only on different areas at one time.
12-01-2011 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

RE: World Editor syncing issues
(12-01-2011 12:08 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  for collaborative editing on the same world:
people should not work on the same areas at the same time, they should work only on different areas at one time.

I think this is the issue -- multiple folks are working on things within the same Area/Grid in the world. Our understanding was that as long as folks aren't making changes to the same objects even if they are in the same Area/Grid that it will be fine. Thanks for clarifying this. We tried to experiment a number of ways in our process, thinking that DataBrowser sync had to be done after a WorldEditor sync, or the reverse, and a bunch of other orders in saving and building, and none of that mattered.

Thanks again for this clarification. It will save lots of time in lost work.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011 04:35 PM by aceio76.)
12-01-2011 04:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply