About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
309$/mo

Dev Blog (project "Eternal")
fuzzylr Offline

RE: Work In Progress (project "Eternal")
I am dying to complete my schooling. I am so antsy to dive into this area. It's pretty cool some of the stuff you guys have going so far.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
Project V. Studios | Game Dev
01-04-2013 02:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fuzzylr Offline

Any more updates?

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
01-22-2013 04:29 AM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

We are now finally developing the ui components. I think that I may share screenshots some time after this phase.
01-22-2013 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Here are some rather curious screenshots I found from back in June 2012 that I thought might be interesting to see. I was doing some testing on pack movement and then decided to crank up the number of mobs just to see how it worked. We are looking at about 1000 mobs in both images. Although the server was able to handle it, my client was beat up:

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 05:15 PM by aceio76.)
02-08-2013 05:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

So it is using some crude flocking algorithm?
02-08-2013 07:21 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Yea, there were some mobs that responded fast enough to pack movement location, and some were delayed. That's because I was messing with cohesion values in an attempt to try to simulate more independence on each mob. It's quite a bit more tweaked now, but don't expect to see a flock of mobs of this size in the end product smile

One thing to also note, as I still remember it, was that the mobs were allowed to overlap each other. With the upcoming Physx3, I plan on changing that and add multi-threading in the backend path calculations.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2013 09:24 PM by aceio76.)
02-08-2013 09:20 PM
fuzzylr Offline

That's some cool stuff. Keep up the good work.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
02-11-2013 06:31 AM
xzessmedia Offline

yeah indeed this is awesome and really interesting

Royality Free Game Ressources
www.xzessmedia.de
02-11-2013 12:56 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

More results from recent testing:

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 03:55 AM by aceio76.)
03-10-2013 03:54 AM
Koniu Offline

First picture is very nice, good job.
This is skybox on the other pictures?
03-10-2013 04:33 AM
Tottel Offline

Nice work, Allen. And the clouds are lovely. smile
03-10-2013 10:13 AM
Spezies Offline

Think its a skybox. 3 pictures have the same cloudarrangement in background.
03-10-2013 01:25 PM
ronalmb Offline

It is indeed a created skybox. Allen has been working on some optimization systems that has the nice added affect that we can swap out the clouds on it based upon region. He's put a lot of work into optimization that really allows the artwork to pop in places.
03-14-2013 03:43 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Interesting project, I love the graphical design. Do you have any video available yet? I'd love to get a more immersive view of your game world.
03-14-2013 10:20 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

I'm waiting to do any type of videos until we have a bit more polished UI in place and the avatar code in place. We do have the following:
- non-slot design item system (starter items/armor, looting, loot from random containers, item identify if unidentified through skill or scroll)
- ability system (cooldowns for single and group of abilities, dependence on items, support for single/group/location/item targets, apply any combination of effects on any of the ability's stages, plus other traditional concepts like interruption effects, completion effects, apply effect to caster when casting is successful besides target, etc)
- NPC system (single mob, group mob, pack movement, ai that support long range and close-combat on the same mob, patrol behavior, LOS plus other senses detection, efficient npc network communication with client by significantly reducing unneeded transmissions, etc)
- basic combat PvE/PvP in place because of items above (party/group system will be forth-coming with formation dynamics)

With regards to the environmentals, I'm utilizing a grid system to determine what environmental settings should be in place (or transition towards) where the player is. For example, as the player enters a swamp jungle, when facing the direction of the swamp, and further moving forward, the environment will slowly transition by removing the horizon clouds (what you see in the images above) and it can:
- put overhead clouds (darker, storm looking clouds, or anything more fitting the scene)
- change the horizon color more fitting a jungle
- change viewrange (mostly for terrain details) and objectrange (I have object range in place since mid last year where objects fade in/out of view depending on range)
- change additive sky color, additive ambient color and even horizon density (to simulate distance fog)
- turn on/off ocean
- change grass range
- change shadow range (where it can change to the less expensive blob shadow at farther distances)
- change horizon cloud color (mostly used for day/night transition where the clouds should be dark/shadowed during sunrise/sunset)
- plus a few minor items

The grid system is a custom editor tool where I can "paint" grid settings that signify the type of environment setting I want on areas of the map. It also allows me to specify "world regions" so that when a player is within a region, the ui HUD may say he's at "The City of Atlantis" or something like that.

The game is setup for multi-player online, but the map is a small island (less than 60sqkm). The biggest hurdle I am seeing right now is that since I'm targetting lower-spec (along the lines of laptop hardware) computers, I am not getting the performance I'd like to see, although I get decent performance on mid-level desktop PCs. I'd like to be able to increase view distances but I am limited to what is acceptable in performance.

What's next? Plenty. Michael (ronalmb) and I have a set of minimal features we'd like to have before we can move to the next software dev stage (possibly pre-beta stage).

The grid editor isn't anything spectacular (since only designers will ever see it):

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013 04:32 PM by aceio76.)
03-17-2013 02:33 PM