About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
309$/mo

Dev Blog (project "Eternal")
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Dev Blog (project "Eternal")
Not much I can share yet about this project except we codenamed it "Eternal" as a pun for a number of reasons. But here are some very early screenshots of some of the in-game scenes just to gain a place here in the Showcase forum:

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 01:34 AM by aceio76.)
12-01-2011 06:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
runewake2 Offline

RE: Work In Progress (project "Eternal")
Looks really good, obviously it could use some work (especially with the UI), but I like where this is going. The graphics, for the most part, are spectacular!
12-01-2011 08:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rndbit Offline

it indeed looks amazing! aceio76, you got either an amazing artist or good funding ^_^
12-01-2011 01:41 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

This is equivalent of about 2 months of work since moving over to EE. We're still converting and updating the 3D models and textures to match the engine's capabilities, and learning how to best use the engine at the same time. That applies to the coding as well, much more work there, as I have to build some core systems from scratch, of which the 'Combat/Skill' system is almost done, and that should lead me to have more UI in the near future.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
12-01-2011 02:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TBJokers Offline

I really love you're Effects smile and over all it looks really good smile smile

Man, it's always that semicolon...
12-01-2011 04:20 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

(12-01-2011 01:41 PM)rndbit Wrote:  it indeed looks amazing! aceio76, you got either an amazing artist or good funding ^_^

Yes, Michael is an amazing artist. He's responsible for the visuals, from textures, models, to environment design. As for funding, we're getting by with what we have.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
12-01-2011 06:06 PM
erdemin Offline

Very nice, some of those shots ooze atmosphere!
12-01-2011 08:30 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Thanks erdemin. Yes we're starting with the feel of the atmosphere and filling in props as we convert more objects. There's still a number of further developments need to be made in the scenes, and tons more in code.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2011 05:22 AM by aceio76.)
12-02-2011 02:09 AM
rndbit Offline

you got any website for a project? would be interesting to poke around smile
12-02-2011 11:38 AM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

(12-02-2011 11:38 AM)rndbit Wrote:  you got any website for a project? would be interesting to poke around smile

In short, not yet, although all the domain names are purchased. We're not really ready to market yet. We're operating on the concept that we will market when there is something worth seeing because we may only get one chance at catching the viewer's attention. smile

www.thinkplaystudios.com
12-02-2011 05:10 PM
Dandruff Offline

looking good!
12-03-2011 09:25 AM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

(12-01-2011 04:20 PM)TBJokers Wrote:  I really love you're Effects smile and over all it looks really good smile smile

(12-03-2011 04:07 AM)checkpointng Wrote:  your project looks really good aceio76!

(12-03-2011 09:25 AM)Dandruff Wrote:  looking good!

Thanks guys smile

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2011 05:42 PM by aceio76.)
12-03-2011 04:33 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

I'm using PIX to help me profile the scenes. Since I don't have an AMD GPU, it is the next best thing I can do for now until we have more integrated profiling capabilities accessible to us.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
02-10-2012 01:15 AM
Zervox Offline
Silver Supporter

not much more info we can get without AMD GPUPerfAPI and NVPerfHUDAPI implemented. kinda alot of draw calls going there as well, how far are your viewRange? what about objects?
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 01:49 AM by Zervox.)
02-10-2012 01:48 AM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Yea, lots of optimizing to do for the outdoor scenes. The camera was pointed in *that* direction due to a number of models both on a lower and upper terrain platform (chr is in the mid level platform, the other platforms are behind the short hill and not visible in the image). There is also a number of particles (local fog, smoke) in that direction. I just finished building an occlusion system for indoors (going inside a room unloads all unnecessary objects, etc) and I'm tweaking an outdoor view system that manages fog, clouds, shadows, objects in view not tied to view-range, etc. Basically, the indoor occlusion system is the most successful for me (getting 2-4x performance boost than without it), but the outdoor management code isn't doing that much better (gains are merely a handful of extra fps) but it does give me other things like being able to blend fog and/or cloud color as I enter an area, that sort of stuff.

Basically, the idea is I'm going to do the best optimization that I can do, and any optimization in draw/rendering that Esenthel will do down the line will only make things better for me. My target hardware isn't high-end PC, but so far, with a single test PC (for my target hardware type), the FPS performance is decent, but will still need to test when multiple players are in the same area.
As far as the profiler goes, I do get other info besides what is displayable in the perf HUD. Below is from a laptop with an mobile Intel vidcard:

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 03:05 PM by aceio76.)
02-10-2012 06:32 AM