About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Converting Heightmap Calcs.
scotty1121 Offline

Converting Heightmap Calcs.
Hey guys, just a quick question, i know that with height maps you divide the res by 64 then times by 2, then you got your area, say for example in unreal engine where X and Y are width and length and Z is height, for example in esenthel X and Z are width and length, Y is height, so in unreal engine a height map has the dimensions "512 X 512 Y 140 Z" and to translate this in esenthel would be "512 X 512 Z 140 Y" but that's obviously too big, i know that X and Z should be "2 X 2 Z" what should the "140" be, i'm not familiar with esenthels Y depth etc. i hope i can get an answer soon, i just need to calculate my height map i made and used in unreal and get it into esenthel with the right dimensions.
12-19-2011 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

RE: Converting Heightmap Calcs.
The "140" in this case is just the vertical scale of the heights, i.e. the heights will range between 0 and 140. Normally the y values of the heightmap will be in the range of 0.0 to 1.0 then when you import it, you set the height scale or "Max Y" I think it is called in EE editor. By default, this is set to 16 from memory, but you can change it to 140 or anything you like.
12-20-2011 12:03 AM
scotty1121 Offline

thank you for your reply, but i am wanting to know calculations of how hight it should be in esenthel, in UDK it would be 140, but would it be the same in esenthel?.
12-20-2011 01:40 AM
fatcoder Offline

Not sure I understand you. In EE you can set it to whatever you like. If you want it to be 140, then you can set it to that. There is no calculation for this.
12-20-2011 05:26 AM
erdemin Offline

I think he wants to know how to scale the Z axis coming from Unreal engine so that his hills don't look like molehills in EE (or mountains depending on how the scaling works).

I can't give you a definite answer if that's what you want to know, but it should only take a few tests with a small sample going back and forth between EE and UE.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2011 10:30 PM by erdemin.)
12-20-2011 10:29 PM
fatcoder Offline

(12-20-2011 10:29 PM)erdemin Wrote:  I think he wants to know how to scale the Z axis coming from Unreal engine so that his hills don't look like molehills in EE (or mountains depending on how the scaling works).

I can't give you a definite answer if that's what you want to know, but it should only take a few tests with a small sample going back and forth between EE and UE.

I believe you are correct. I am reading too fast and missing the point. My bad.

I also agree with you that there isn't any calculation to get between UDK and EE. I doubt anybody has tried before. So it will just take some trial and error, back and fourth to get it right. Since you will probably be the first to try, when you find the sweet spot, post back here for anyone else in the future that might want to try it.
12-21-2011 01:47 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Y is meters
X,Z are in area coordinates (are size is dependent on world confg, world/world info)
12-21-2011 01:38 PM
scotty1121 Offline

alright, thanks for that guys, the sweet spot at the moment is dividing area size in unreal by 64, so 512/64 = 8, 8x8 area, and in unreal 140 Y is doubled or quadrupled depending on how you want it.
12-27-2011 03:53 AM