Keep the thread, keep it open
Other option
[Show Results]

Threads turning into flame wars.
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Threads turning into flame wars.
My goal is to keep this forum clean.

I want the forum to be something like a knowledgebase - you look for answers, you search the forum, and find help.

I enjoy working in friendly or neutral environment.

However some threads may sometimes turn into flaming wars between the people and I don't see the point of keeping discussions of people arguing with each other on this forum.

This forum is meant to be a knowledgebase, place for asking help, exchanging valuable information, sharing progress on games development - all in friendly or neutral environment only.

I'm asking about community's preference about dealing with such threads.
(If you don't want to get involved into discussion and possibly start another flame war here, you can just vote without making a post, poll is private - other members will not know your vote).

Thank you!
12-24-2011 12:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
erdemin Offline

RE: Threads turning into flame wars.
I'm against deleting the thread/post. Usually people that make false claims are clearly doing so after some debate. In some cases closing the post is needed though. I do agree however the posts should be moved to a different part of the forum if they're in the wrong section.
12-24-2011 02:20 PM
Demostenes Offline
Banned

Deleting makes only more bad blood. It works to close thread, or move it to some "flame" section.
12-24-2011 02:39 PM
ronalmb Offline

I agree with both Erdemin and Demonstenes above. Closing the thread with a statement of why it was closed (i.e. This thread had been closed as it violates the Terms of Service for the website) in nice red letters will convey a sense of professionalism that I think the Esenthel Engine deserves.

Deleting a thread leaves you in the position of being open to all manners of accusations (including censorship, tyranny, etc). Having the closed, locked thread remaining protects you from people making such claims and provides to everyone evidence showing the closure was necessary.

I would suggest also that you adjust your Forum Terms of Service to include notice that users can have posts deleted and even be banned for improper, rude, and abusive behavior.

Congratulations on reaching this step. This is an issue that communities have to address when they have grown successfully large enough to attact people from all walks of life. It may not seem like it, but there is silver lining in this cloud.
12-24-2011 03:19 PM
Tottel Offline

I completely agree with Ronalmb.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty sure you're referring to the "paid support" topic. There has been some flaming in there, true, but there have been some valid arguments as well. Not to mention people with very different opinions, coming to some agreements.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2011 04:41 PM by Tottel.)
12-24-2011 04:15 PM
Harry Offline

Me too. It's the best 'non agressive' option and I think that people who argue with others better understand that they did something wrong when they see that their thread was closed than deleted.
12-24-2011 04:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply