About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Moon and Sky
ronalmb Offline

Moon and Sky
Hello,

My moon is being drawn after the skybox which means that my starfield is visible in front of it. It also causing me some lighting issues during the dawn/day cycles, but i can live with that.

Could we have a way to control the draw order of the planetary bodies and skybox? I would like to use nice looking, detailed starmaps but the orbital bodies end up looking like they are outside the known universe.

Examples below. Thank you for all your work and time.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

01-09-2012 04:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

RE: Moon and Sky
Change the "blend" from true to false (I think from memory) on your moon's Astro object. That will draw it over the star map rather than blending it with the star map. However doing this causes all sorts of other problems, so you need to tweak your settings for the moon. I have found it pretty hard to get a good looking moon, and I've played with the settings a lot. The problem is that you want a "blended" moon (as it looks better), but you don't want it to blend with the star map. Another solution is to perhaps create your own moon texture coloured the way you want it and then draw it without blending. I haven't tried this yet, so can't say how it will turn out. You might even be able to play with the alpha channel in a custom moon image.
01-09-2012 04:47 AM
ronalmb Offline

RE: Moon and Sky
Fatcoder,

Again thank you for your aid. I believe that both true and false were tried for the moon's blend setting. I will try both today and see what's up with that. Much obliged!
01-09-2012 01:54 PM