About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Global Server Connection
dragonfly3 Offline

Global Server Connection
We are having trouble connecting to the EE server via the global address.

We have tried on different computers. All computers that we have tried on connect to the internet via a wireless router. We don't have the ability to connect directly.

It seems that the IP address resolved as the global address for the server is not the true IP address but rather related to the router.

We have attempted suggestions found in this thread:
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=3786

However they have not worked.

We have tried the "turn firewall off" suggestions found throughout the forum but they do not work either. We can't seem to figure out what sort of code we need to make it work or how to find the actual IP address needed to allow people from other computers in other locations (not in a LAN) to connect to the server.

I have spoken with other forum members and I know that this has been an issue for others as well but no solution seems to have been posted here or in documentation. If anyone would be willing to share how to solve this issue, it'd be greatly appreciatedgrin
01-20-2012 01:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

RE: Global Server Connection
You have to make sure that u are really using the global ip address: http://watismijnip.nl/

Next, you have to route the global ip-address and port to the correct local computer ip-address. If you don't set this in the router (Port Forwarding)... it doesn't know to which computer you want to connect.

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
01-20-2012 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trouble Offline

also make sure you have propper port forwarding settings, if you are behind NAT
01-31-2012 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

(01-31-2012 09:41 PM)trouble Wrote:  also make sure you have propper port forwarding settings, if you are behind NAT

O'rly?

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
01-31-2012 10:15 PM
trouble Offline

sorry, didn't read your whole post. My bad.
01-31-2012 10:22 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

We couldn't get it to work. The IP on my computer is given by the wireless router so it's not the true IP. Couldn't find the true IP.

We just installed the EE server on our dedicated server and just connect to it remotely. It works fine that way.
02-01-2012 12:31 AM
yvanvds Offline

In your first test to use the global address, could it be that both the server and the clients you tried were behind the SAME router? If so, that is the reason why it doesn't work.

This is because, even though the router can relay a message to another internal IP, once it sends a package on the internet it cannot send it back to itself because the package cannot simply 'turn around' on the cable. (Ok, perhaps this is oversimplified, but I believe this is more or less what happens in this case.)
02-01-2012 01:19 AM
dragonfly3 Offline

No, our first attempt did not have both server and client on the same system. I had the server running on my computer and one of my team members had the client running on his computer. We are located in different states, hundreds of miles apart. I couldn't get the true IP for my internet. Every attempt I tried gave me the same IP that the router assigns to all of the composers running off of it.
02-01-2012 06:25 PM
Seba Offline

Try this http://www.whatismyip.com/ or try to look for WAN in router admin panel.
Your ip should start from 8X. if start from 192. it will be local ip and you can't host serwer to be saw outsite your network.

If have global ip and router login to admin panel in my router i have this in:
Advanced Settings->Forwarding->Virtual Servers then you need set:
Port on what server listening;
Ip of computer running server;
What protocol server use;
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 07:37 PM by Seba.)
02-01-2012 07:33 PM
trouble Offline

maybe your ISP is using strange politics with global IP ( like using their own structure for a number of clients and one global IP ). Try to contact them and ask for port forwarding to your local IP ( as Dynad adviced ).
As Dynad wrote http://watismijnip.nl/ gives you true global IP
02-01-2012 07:33 PM
Zervox Offline

(02-01-2012 07:33 PM)Seba Wrote:  Try this http://www.whatismyip.com/ or try to look for WAN in router admin panel.
Your ip should start from 8X. if start from 192. it will be local ip and you can't host serwer to be saw outsite your network.

If have global ip and router login to admin panel in my router i have this in:
Advanced Settings->Forwarding->Virtual Servers then you need set:
Port on what server listening;
Ip of computer running server;
What protocol server use;

Global IP can be way more than just 8"number" it can range from 0 and up, eg 11 - 73- 97
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 09:23 PM by Zervox.)
02-01-2012 09:19 PM
dragonfly3 Offline

the whatismyip.com website gave me the same IP that the EE server gave. Don't have access to any sort of control panel, either.

We personally already found a solution to this problem but maybe others have had the same problem as well. I'm not sure. We aren't going to try to use this method anymore, though.

Thanks everyone for trying to help, it's much appreciated smile
02-04-2012 02:33 AM