About Store Forum Documentation Contact

SnipeClub
Mischief0 Offline

SnipeClub
Hi there,

Well to cut a long story short - I'm a C# developer who loves gaming and whilst at University created a 3D game in Java
(i know i know) called SnipeClub in a small team (3 people). The game was ok, but a bit buggy and was several years
ago now. I've decided I want to get into Gaming seriously so thought I'd pick up the Esenthel engine as it looks very programming
orientated (as opposed to something like Unity), try and figure out C++ and produce a basic game to get my head around it all.

So I've made this in a couple of weeks - uses a bunch of stuff from various Esenthel examples, forums, Raknet tutorials etc etc.
Its a first person shooter with all the basics (bullets, grenades, high scores, respawning, 3D sound, network play, and a
rudimentary go at networked AI).

I've created an executable which allows it to install on to your Windows computer (exe simply extracts a zip file, and installs
direct x when required) and the source code is available (bar the code used to access the data.pak file) at the links below.

This was really my attempt at mashing my basic C++ knowledge and several of the examples together... however I'd really
appreciate some feedback (not so much about the game itself) but the coding side of things and if there are any big "no no's"
in my code. I'm writing an actual game now - will be a 3rd person "wizard" based game but with some nifty graphics and effects
that should be fun! Anyway I'll upload a basic video and some screenshots when I can. Could be useful source code to someone
just beginning (I've commented it thoroughly and have a readme which explains the code a bit more). Anyway the features I can think of are...

Colorful world split into "four" quadrants world - wind, water, fire and earth
        Dynamic "day/night" cycle from Esenthels examples and "raining" example I found online
        Minimap - tracks position throughout the world (couldn't quite get positions of AI / players done in time)
        Network Peer to Peer play (host - join) with network chatting, scores, damage (bullets and grenades) and AI    

AI - various amounts created at certain way points around the world... state based management implemented.
        Ambient sounds, 3D positioned sounds (footsteps, bullets, explosions), and of course intro music wink
        First person view amplified by a 3D sniper rifle attachment and scope zooming (using a billboard)
        Configurable options (from BM example)
        Teleportation - walk into the water at any point in the map and randomly respawn elsewhere

Cheers - love the engine!

Shaun

// Images now added - apologies about the size!! \\

Source Code - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10174415/SnipeCl...ceCode.zip

Installer - http://db.tt/KepXSCxn

Youtube Clip - very average quality and no sound as the screen recorder I used was average.. but im tired and will fix later smile

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2012 09:14 PM by Mischief0.)
02-06-2012 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TBJokers Offline

RE: SnipeClub
Interesting smile Hope it's great..
Btw your links are broken wink

Man, it's always that semicolon...
02-06-2012 07:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

works for me
02-06-2012 07:50 PM
TBJokers Offline

Oops! (404)
We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our FAQ or forums for help. Or maybe you should try heading home.

That's for me :O

Man, it's always that semicolon...
02-06-2012 08:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dynad Offline

same

There is always evil somewhere, you just have to look for it properly.
02-06-2012 08:29 PM
Mischief0 Offline

Ooops found a few big bugs, republishing in one minute smile
02-06-2012 11:26 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

would be great if you could attach a few screens in the 1st post
02-06-2012 11:29 PM
Mischief0 Offline

Updated the link to the installer. Anyone have a chance to have a look at the source yet? smile
02-07-2012 09:12 PM
herasslu90 Offline

WoW looks great.
The code is very well, but I can't get it to work.
Do you use RakNet 4.036?
02-12-2012 12:00 PM
Mischief0 Offline

Thanks - what is it that you can't get to work? The installer should just install direct-x if needed and add snipeclub to your C directory... Any error message?

In terms of RakNet... whatever the latest dist is, 4.036 sounds right.

Also if your trying to run direct from the code - it won't run as you won't have the key to unlock the pak file with the world / data in it.
02-12-2012 12:17 PM
herasslu90 Offline

Yes, but I have change the models etc.
I will try some more time and let you know.
02-12-2012 12:30 PM
Mischief0 Offline

You won't be able to run it unless you use the installer. The source code download is just that, the source code. Changing the models and so forth won't work, there is tonnes of stuff in the locked pak file (waypoints, models, particles etc) that you need with specific names. I didn't want people just to download it, change the models, rename it and go from there...
02-12-2012 01:10 PM
herasslu90 Offline

Hey, I'm just very interested about your AI System, am I not allowed to have a look in this? I don't want to copy your very nice game.
To do this, I think I don't need the locked pak file. Or I'm wrong with that?
Sure I have to change world particles etc..
02-12-2012 01:57 PM
Mischief0 Offline

All the source code is there so of course you can look at it. You won't be able to debug the game, or create a new project and run it that way. If you run the installer, play the game an watch the AI, you should than be able to look at the source and see what's happening smile Very similar to Bloody massacres, just separated into states and with networking..is that alright?
02-12-2012 02:15 PM
herasslu90 Offline

Yes, thank you. Of course I have install the game.
02-12-2012 02:46 PM