About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
309$/mo

Issue with WaterArea reflection
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Issue with WaterArea reflection
I've attached an in-game image that shows reflections being off. This does not happen when within the Editor (I could not duplicate it).

Is this a bug or is there some adjustments that can be made either through the Editor or via code?

Attached File(s) Image(s)

www.thinkplaystudios.com
03-09-2012 03:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Abril Offline

RE: Issue with WaterArea reflection
Can you attach an Editor screen showing how it is supposed to look like?
03-09-2012 11:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paviii Offline

Its really just the gap that's left between the stump and the reflection. The arrow is pointing to the gap and the reflection starts below it. The reflection should be attached to the stump the way its attached to the tree to the left of the stump. Hope this helped.

Paviii
03-09-2012 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Actually, all the objects have a gap between itself and its reflection in the water in-game. It's just harder to tell on taller objects, but there definitely is a gap on all of them.

Below is the editor screenshot of a similar view but no gap:

Attached File(s) Image(s)

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 02:41 PM by aceio76.)
03-09-2012 02:38 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

do you have any other lake / ocean in the world except that one from the screen?
is it "game mode" from world editor "play" ? or your custom .exe?
is the water drawn manually through WaterArea? or by the engine's Game::World.draw?
03-11-2012 05:34 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Hi Esenthel,

Yes, we do have other lakes in the vicinity, and the ocean itself is not too far away from that scene I have posted. The reflection gap is not noticeable for objects that are outside of the water, but is very noticeable when the tall object is within the body of water. The reflection issue is present on all lakes and rivers that I can observe ingame.

The 1st screenshot is from a compiled exe in debug mode, and I commonly refer to this as "in-game", using the game client exe.

The water body (the lakes) is drawn automatically, so I suppose that is through the default World.draw() call.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2012 07:52 PM by aceio76.)
03-11-2012 07:49 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

During frame rendering there can be only one reflection image generated, so if you have multiple water areas located at different levels, then it's possible that reflection image is generated for different water level.
Try temporarily disable all other water areas (leaving just one water area) and let me know if that helps.
03-13-2012 02:24 PM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Unfortunately, the issue is related to the ocean being displayed. It is taking the water level of the ocean instead of the lake as where to start drawing the reflection. Since the ocean level is lower than the lake level, the reflection is drawn lower in the lake, taking the ocean level as the basis.

I can duplicate this when I mapped a hotkey that disables/enables the ocean. The reflection image shifts down and up depending on whether the ocean is enabled or not.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
03-29-2012 04:28 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Yes, in first priority ocean reflection is taken into account. You can place the lake a little bit further (vertically, +-1 meter) from the ocean, which will disable reflections.
04-02-2012 01:39 AM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

We do have a workaround using some custom code (area zones) to fix it. Since we now understand how the reflections work with regards to water/ocean, we can now work around it and design the map accordingly.

Thanks for the info.

www.thinkplaystudios.com
04-02-2012 03:38 AM