About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Atmospheric stars
Gian-Reto Offline

Atmospheric stars
Has someone tested the atmospheric stars before? I'm messing around with a day/night cycle, and I like to use the atmospheric stars during the night.

Could someone lay out how to create the needed cube map? I assume I draw 6 pics with white stars on a transparent background...

Where can I convert that into a compatible cubemap? The converter tool I assume?

Is there any method to "fade out" the stars when the sun comes up? ... or is the Engine doing that automagically for me?
04-07-2012 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fatcoder Offline

RE: Atmospheric stars
Yes, you need 6 images and then use the converter tool to create the cube map. Please check the documentation for the exact usage and naming conventions for the images. Note that the images should not have any transparency in them. The star map fading is controlled by the alpha component of the sky and horizon colors. So you can control when the stars appear.
04-08-2012 12:47 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

Okay, thanks for the hints...

But 2 points I didn't understood from your post:

1) No transparency in the image... so whats foreground, and what is the background color? white/black?
2) star map fading controlled by the alpha component of the sky... is there a method to call on the Sky class?
04-08-2012 01:57 PM
fatcoder Offline

1. For a simple star map, it would be black with white dots for the stars. But you can put whatever you like on these images. For example, you could have have distant planets and nebula on them.

2. Sky.atmosphericColor(...)
04-08-2012 02:49 PM
Gian-Reto Offline

Okay, let me get this straight: if atmospheric stars are set, they replace the atmospheric color, if atmospheric color has its alpha set to 0.... so that its acting like a skybox, which I can turn by calling the approtpiate method.

I thinks I know now how that works.... neat.

Okay, I give it a try....
04-08-2012 11:06 PM