About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Hybrid ambient Occlusion
Gian-Reto Offline

Hybrid ambient Occlusion
I didn't know how to give this topic a descriptive title, so excuse me if its not very understandable.

I try to make myself clearer here.

What I propose to add to EE is the possibility to run AO in the Engine for different sets of parameters.

In Starcraft 2 for example, the AO is done for small ranges/scales for 25% of the samples, giving the game proper occlusion for small details like cracks in the walls and so on.
The other 75% of the AO samples are run with a larger scale/range, to fake global illumination and darken the corners in a dim lit room.
I assume the quality of each is a little bit lower because of the missed samples, but the combined AO is much more convincing, because it works for small and larger details.

I don't know how easy it would be to implement, but something like giving two (or more) sets of parameters to the AO system and a hint, how many percents of the samples should use which parameters, should do the trick.

Not a must have feature, but would be pretty cool still.

Regards

Gian-Reto
05-23-2012 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Hybrid ambient Occlusion
Yeah I was thinking of something similar, but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me about it, I'll write it on the roadmap
05-23-2012 08:19 PM
Gian-Reto Offline

RE: Hybrid ambient Occlusion
You Are welcome... Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm looking forward to it. smile
05-23-2012 09:20 PM