About Store Forum Documentation Contact

0.A.D. - open source RTS game project
sivan Offline

0.A.D. - open source RTS game project
I think it is worthy to share this open source game project with you I'm currently browsing: http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/
RTS in the style of Age of Empires series, looks nice, written in C++ and Java, multi-platform, supports collada format, now playable with limitations...
06-07-2012 01:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Magnets Offline

RE: 0.A.D. - open source RTS game project
Neat!

I always have enjoyed historically based RTS games, thank you.
06-12-2012 04:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sivan Offline

the concept, the graphics and features are okay, the main problem with this game is its pathfinder... as I see it is simply a cycle limited tile based system as in Age of Empires I, which is really not an up-to-date solution, and when a lot of units are moving/fighting it results in a big slow down. Age of Empires II utilized a 2 (or 3) level hierarchical pathfinder that worked really fine (an area and a tile based, and maybe a 3rd one I don't remember). and unit behaviour is also not smooth enough.
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2012 08:40 AM by sivan.)
06-13-2012 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

With the money they received from their Pledgie (like Kickstarter) campaign, they hired one of their programmers to work on the game for a full month. He worked on re-implementing the pathfinding system completely.
I don't know if they already released the new pathfinding system in one of the recent alpha's. If not, things will get a lot better.
06-13-2012 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sivan Offline

sounds well, in case of a RTS, efficient pathfinding is a key element, and can help a lot to improve game AI.
I really hope they have success with this project, I'm planning to help them with some feeadback...
06-16-2012 03:44 PM