About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Possible world load issue [resolved]
JonathonA Offline

Possible world load issue [resolved]
Hello everyone,

I have a major issue that happened after engine updates and database codes I have been writing. I cannot see why the updates or my codes would do this, but maybe someone can help.

What you see in the picture is what has happened. I can't get outside the building, there is a grey wall in the way. The game world has not changed, I have not re-built it or modified any .world files.

I have checked that the Server and Client are loading the world and that the player is entered into game and that is okay (because as you see in picture, I am ingame). The world must be loading at least one area for me to enter the world at the initial spawn (in side that building).

I cannot find this problem. Is it not loading areas outside the building? is there some sort of occlusion going on?

I hope someone can help me. My codes seems okay but I am using a modified version of NetChr from Esenthel MMO; I am loading data from database and not File.

In Esenthel MMO, Bool NetChr::load(File &f) is called which calls super::load(f) which is Obj::load. I don't know what super::load(f) does (I don't have access to codes) but I think it sets the world for NetChr, so my NetChr::load method does this to set the world:

Code:
// more codes here
Str worldName;
DivergenceDB.getCol(WORLD_NAME, worldName);

Vec position;
DivergenceDB.getCol(POS_X, position.x);
DivergenceDB.getCol(POS_Y, position.y);
DivergenceDB.getCol(POS_Z, position.z);

Net::World* world = Net::Worlds(worldName);
T.setWorld(world, position);
// more codes here that loads mesh/phys

That must work, I enter world on client okay, just can't see outside building.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 03:15 PM by JonathonA.)
06-10-2012 12:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TBJokers Offline

RE: Possible world load issue [unresolved]
It has nothing to do with that code, if you can load the world without any problems then you have a valid world path. I suggest that you take a look in your Game.cpp, where you can find something like
Game::World.init()
.New(NetChr->worldName());

However seeing as your world loads, there's not a problem with just that, i propose you give us some more information

Man, it's always that semicolon...
06-10-2012 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JonathonA Offline

I have checked out Game::World.init() and as you say, the world is loading so what issues could there be with that codes. What other information can I give?

The remaining code I have been working on (which is all DB codes) does nothing more than handle user registration/login and character deletion.

If you can think of anything else I should start looking at then please tell me because I have been stepping through it in the debugger, over and over again with no visible problems.
06-10-2012 01:20 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

could you tell what exactly is the problem?
some grey wall appearing while it shouldn't?
you can check your world, your objects, your meshes, that the files are ok, the same on both client/server,
06-10-2012 01:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JonathonA Offline

I cannot say 'exactly' what problem is, the grey wall is a symptom of it. I suspect some issue with area loading is taking place but why a grey wall appears because of it I do not know.

I am checking the files on both client/server now and I will let you know what I find.
06-10-2012 01:27 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

well I can tell you that the game engine does not create any "dummy" walls/boxes at all. so it must be something in your data files or source code.
(data files - some mesh file could have get replaced with some other)
(codes - you are rendering some box somewhere for some reason)
you can try hiding all object types in the game codes by commenting out the Game.World.setObjType

or maybe the wall had transparent material set, and the material file is now missing?
06-10-2012 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JonathonA Offline

Well I know a box is not being rendered in my codes so that isn't the issue; I didn't suspect the engine would create any dummy walls either.

I disabled all the .setObjType as suggested and that didn't solve it.

What was interesting was what happened when I disabled collision detection on my player. I flew outside the building and all objects had been loaded and I can could move around the world.

Once I had flown outside of the building, I could walk in and out of it freely, with no gray wall blocking the path. I re-logged ingame and no sign of the wall. At the moment that does not make much sense to me.

It does mean that there is no transparent material set on a wall at that location since no wall is placed there in the world file (its a corridor leading out of the building and no door either).
06-10-2012 02:03 PM
JonathonA Offline

I reverted my svn repository to when I had no DB code and when I knew it certainly was working fine, rebuilt the binaries and guess what? same issue.

I'm not suggesting that the engine update creates dummy walls, but at this moment, my repo is reverted back to when my game was working but it is still broken and the only thing that is different is the engine has been updated.

Running out of options here.
Issue resolved. Thanks for suggestions.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2012 03:15 PM by JonathonA.)
06-10-2012 03:04 PM
JonathonA Offline

RE: Possible world load issue [resolved]
Thanks for the post aceio but I did manage to solve it (see bottom of last post); I'll bear in mind your suggestions for the future though wink
06-10-2012 10:40 PM