About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Editor 2.0
Shatterstar Offline

RE: Esenthel Editor 2.0
i agree with yvands. being able to add plugin functionality is what this game engine needs. it would increase the community. more coders would take pride in writing the next great plugin. some could be sold at a small price. coders, amature and professional could benifit from it. now the plus side for the owner of esenthel is that it he could easily raise the value of the game engine and people would easily buy into it. Unity already does this and part of their success is do to the fact that they have plugin functionality available. there is only gain from this with no negitives or detractions to this engine if this be made possible. I hope you have been reading this Gregory and I hope you at least consider it.
12-17-2012 04:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shatterstar Offline

I agree with Acieo, and im not even a programmer. I'm a 3d artist. I wouldnt attempt to make a video game without a programmer. but the thing that I've noticed about programmers, they love VS. more so than anything else. to leave VS behind, you are taking alot of programmers out of their comfort zone. it would be a big mistake to not offer support or update lib files that need to be put into VS for VS to work with Esenthel. I just want to know if there is a rumor that is going on that this may happen because this is the first time that I have ever heard about it.
12-17-2012 07:43 AM
fatcoder Offline

@Shatterstar Just to clarify, Esenthel is not dropping support for VS. The concern is more so about the development of a tool when there is already a great IDE available. Again, just my opinion.
12-17-2012 02:16 PM
Shatterstar Offline

oh...ok...thanks fatcoder. smile
12-17-2012 06:45 PM
Rollcage Offline

He's not dropping support, check the roadmap. 2012 VS is on the way. The code editor has potential, it just needs a lot more work to be able to compete with VS, like project views and refactoring. The ability to choose your own font would be cool but not really required.
12-17-2012 11:17 PM
monkey Offline

I just bought a license for EE 2 and looking forward to working with it.

I notice the terrain painting is not working in EE 2 though (unless I am doing something wrong?), can I just use the tools from EE 1 for now or are they incompatible?
12-20-2012 04:24 PM
yvanvds Offline

they are not compatible right now. And i don't think you're supposed to use EE2.0 for anything else but testing right now. If you look at the updates, you see that you're quite often asked to delete your data when a new version comes out. It is an alpha version after all.

BUT there will be an importer to convert your project to 2.0 later on. (Promised by EE on page 2 of this thread.) So you might want to start with 1.0 now and import to 2.0 later on?
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 04:31 PM by yvanvds.)
12-20-2012 04:27 PM
monkey Offline

Hmmm, yes it sounds like that might be the only option then... start with version 1 and convert to version 2 when there is a working converter.

(09-16-2012 10:37 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  
Quote:I see that it's also not possible to import existing projects, but that might be added later on?
Yes, I don't want the users to need to re-import all resources and create worlds from scratch, this will be added.

@Esenthel are you sure you will definitely be able to do this? I didn't buy the version 1 as it seems stupid to buy an old version when there's a new one underway and since the underlying engine/API is the same I am willing to embrace the latest work

... but I think others like me will also have this same dilemma now - should we invest our time and effort in EE at all when we know v1 is being superceded and v2 is not yet ready?

Would be very nice to have confirmation that we can definitely start something in v1 and be able to move to v2 as soon as it's working.

Thanks!
12-20-2012 04:55 PM
Tottel Offline

(12-20-2012 04:55 PM)monkey Wrote:  @Esenthel are you sure you will definitely be able to do this? I didn't buy the version 1 as it seems stupid to buy an old version when there's a new one underway and since the underlying engine/API is the same I am willing to embrace the latest work

The 1.0 editor is free to use; you pay for the license to release the game (and source code).

So, you don't buy anything to start working with the 1.0 editor. You just start working and you import in 2.0 later. smile
12-20-2012 07:35 PM
monkey Offline

(12-20-2012 07:35 PM)Tottel Wrote:  You just start working and you import in 2.0 later. smile

Yep but I want to be sure it will work in 2.0 later... otherwise I will not be able to publish my game :S

I would like to know this is a "definite" feature and not a "maybe" wink
12-20-2012 07:51 PM
Shatterstar Offline

if you are just now starting your game. i would go ahead and build it in version 1 and import to 2.0 later because it usually takes up to a year or more to even finish a game. it will probably take me 2 years because I have a small team and big ambitions.
but in a years time from now, 2.0 will be out of alpha, more than likely. Ive had the 2.0 since day one that he has started on it. and he has already made alot of progress in only 3 months time. i say build it in 1.0 import later. Essenthel owner already said that he is making an importer. when the owner says he's going to do something, he does it, which is awesome. another great thing about this engine, he makes new updates every month. so who knows, the import capablities might be only a few months away.
12-20-2012 11:16 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(12-20-2012 04:24 PM)monkey Wrote:  I notice the terrain painting is not working in EE 2 though (unless I am doing something wrong?), can I just use the tools from EE 1 for now or are they incompatible?
Hello,

could you please describe the problem in detail? It should work just as on the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xACb-0tl5I

Yes you will be able to import your project from 1.0 to 2.0, so for now please keep working with the 1.0 edition.

I am putting all focus into finishing 2.0 and it should be available soon, within few months.

Also as already mentioned, EE 2.0 supports just like 1.0 both Visual Studio and Code Editor.
Code Editor has been proven, it was used to develop:
-Esenthel RTS
-Ineisis Online
-Uploader Tool
-both Editor and Server from EE 2.0
Now when it's integrated with 2.0 and automatic resource packaging, it's even better.
Personally whenever I start a new project, I always pick Code Editor.
Also I'd like to check if I will be able to integrate it with automatic compilation for Mac & iOS, this way it would be automatic full cross-platform IDE for all 4 platforms.
Refactoring and bookmarks are nice ideas, but now I'm busy with more important things.
12-22-2012 03:18 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

included vehicle tutorial in latest EE 2.0 SDK
(only last 1-2 days until discount ends)

Attached File(s) Image(s)

12-30-2012 02:29 PM
fuzzylr Offline

So far I really like it. Thanks Esenthel for all your hard work. I am itching to expand my knowledge and build a game with it.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
Project V. Studios | Game Dev
01-03-2013 02:23 AM
Rollcage Offline

Can we have an option in EE 2.0 to prevent texture from merging on borders? so we can have straight textures making a tiled effect? In Attachment, texture should just take up the white space and not fade where the black is.

ALSO is this currently possible?

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2013 02:18 PM by Rollcage.)
01-14-2013 02:07 PM