About Store Forum Documentation Contact

YSE 3D sound engine (open source)
yvanvds Offline

YSE 3D sound engine (open source)
In case anyone is interested, I'm creating a new 3D sound engine. I have an alpha version online now for testing, and it has already replaced FMOD in Attr-X.

The main advantage compared to free engines like OpenAL and commercial engines like FMOD is that it is much easier to use. The API is a lot more high level. It will also be a lot cheaper than FMOD.

YSE has quite advanced features like custom speaker setup, wide surround, common 3D effects, sound occlusion, automated resource management, support for multichannel files, Reverb and a DSP unit that is much more advanced than every other engine i've seen so far.

I only have an alpha version for windows right now, but i will also create a Mac version when it's ready. I won't support gaming consoles like FMOD does though.

Please let me know what you think. (There is no manual yet, but I have included a VS2010 project and 14 tutorials about most common tasks.)

Regards,

yvan

The link: http://attr-x.net/yse
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012 01:41 AM by yvanvds.)
11-17-2012 02:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: YSE 3D sound engine
When I click on the download link it tries to download some *.man file (I'm on IE9)
11-18-2012 05:33 PM
yvanvds Offline

Yes, I have checked with IE (Windows 8) and i'm getting that too. But if you hover over the link you see it's a .7z file. If you download the 'man' file and manually change the extension it seems to be the correct file though.

Firefox and opera correctly link you to the 7z file, but IE seems to change the extension for some reason. I'm a bit puzzled about why this happens, really.

Edit: Apparently IE can't handle double extensions right (files with a dot in the filename). Adding a custom MIME type for 7z to the server solves the issue. Guess you learn something new every day :-)
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 05:56 PM by yvanvds.)
11-18-2012 05:46 PM
yvanvds Offline

update:

I've decided that my core business is making really wierd music, not selling sound engines. So while i will keep working on this sound engine because i'm probably using it myself for the next 10 years, I've decided that it's better to open source it. That way anyone can benefit from it (including me if someone wants to contribute). I've chosen an EPL license, which also allows for use in commercial products. So everyone should be happy smile
12-29-2012 01:39 AM
lilmike Offline

RE: YSE 3D sound engine (open source)
Hi,
I'm definitely interested in this sound engine, as I am mainly a developer of what are known as audio games, games mainly aimed at the blind market, which use nearly soully sound as their output medium. I definitely would like it to work on mac linux windows and possibly iPhone and android, which I see you have plans to support. Are there any (even very rough) estimations when iPhone/android/mac may be supported? I promise i won't quote you on them or take them as anything but an estimation pfft.
Also, does this engine or will it ever do 3d virtualization E.G. playing 3d sound through headphones?
Thanks, looks like this engine could be great.
-Michael.
01-19-2013 04:24 AM
yvanvds Offline

Hi,

I also have some other projects to attend to, so I don't know when this will be on top of my priority list.

I think the linux version will be quite easy to create. It should be there within a few months. Mac should be easy too, but i'll have to buy a macbook first. I guess it will be ready somewhere during the summer.

Android and iOS are a bit harder. I am very new to mobile development. Don't know how performance will be, really.

Of course, all this is open source, so you're welcome to help out and speed it up :-)

Virtual surround for headphones is on my list. I have seen that openAL soft has it implemented, so i guess i can take a look at that code and hopefully understand it enough to implement it in yse. Don't know exactly when I'm gonna do that.

Regards,

yvan
01-19-2013 03:01 PM
yvanvds Offline

Also, if you're interested in ndk development for android, you should look into libpd for android. It allows you to run pure data patches inside android's native mode.
01-20-2013 03:10 PM
dylantan Offline

Thanks Yvanvds for your contribution and advice!
01-21-2013 01:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Very interesting, have downloaded a copy and will try this. Many thanks yvanvds.
03-22-2013 01:15 AM
yvanvds Offline

Great! Let me know what you think. There's still a lot of room for improvement. I am preoccupied with other projects right now, but i will get back to YSE this summer.
03-22-2013 10:43 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

No worries on not being able to work on it currently, I'm just interested to review the functionality at the moment. I'll happily provide you with feedback as soon as I've had a chance to try it. I have a huge learning curve to go through at the moment having just moved to Esenthel, but I need a good sound engine so I'll definitely look at it.
03-24-2013 03:05 PM