About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel Editor 2.0
fuzzylr Offline

Esenthel Editor 2.0
Hey Esenthel, I was wondering if the server piece would function on a dedicated server? I put it on a VM on XenServer and the window went black and didn't display any of the information.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
Project V. Studios | Game Dev
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2012 11:17 AM by fuzzylr.)
12-30-2012 11:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Esenthel Editor 2.0
Are you running the dx10 version?
12-30-2012 12:04 PM
fuzzylr Offline

Esenthel Editor 2.0
(12-30-2012 12:04 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Are you running the dx10 version?

Nope, just the regular server.exe. I wanted to share this with you so you could see what's going on.

[undefined=undefined]**Note[/undefined]: This is an unlisted video. Please do not share this video.

http://youtu.be/UI7X_I3wJ8M

P.S.
How do you embed video's in your forums??

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
12-31-2012 02:20 AM
Skykill Offline

And you don't event try the DX10+ version pfft. The DirectX 9 version simply don't work on Windows server 2008/R2, don't know for the 2012 and the 2003, so you need to use the DX10+ version.
12-31-2012 09:27 AM
fuzzylr Offline

(12-31-2012 09:27 AM)Skykill Wrote:  And you don't event try the DX10+ version pfft. The DirectX 9 version simply don't work on Windows server 2008/R2, don't know for the 2012 and the 2003, so you need to use the DX10+ version.

Ok, I will try this now.

Actually, trying to use Direct X 10 I got the following errors

Attached File(s) Image(s)

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 02:28 AM by fuzzylr.)
01-01-2013 02:00 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've just tried running DX10+ ver on dedicated server (windows web server 2008 r2)
and it works ok.
make sure you have DirectX runtime installed.
01-01-2013 03:39 AM
fuzzylr Offline

(01-01-2013 03:39 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  I've just tried running DX10+ ver on dedicated server (windows web server 2008 r2)
and it works ok.
make sure you have DirectX runtime installed.

Yea, I do. I downloaded it and installed it.

(12-31-2012 09:27 AM)Skykill Wrote:  And you don't event try the DX10+ version pfft. The DirectX 9 version simply don't work on Windows server 2008/R2, don't know for the 2012 and the 2003, so you need to use the DX10+ version.

Let me ask you a question. Are you doing VGA pass through? I can't seem to get direct X to work properly.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 04:43 AM by fuzzylr.)
01-01-2013 04:10 AM
fuzzylr Offline

Hey Esenthel, I know it's still in beta. I have no life and I'm just learning C++ in school. Well, this semester we are covering Logic and design. I've already jumped into the book reading.

So more to the point I started importing in the mmo source into 2.0. I was wondering if it is possible to edit the C++ source once it's brought in??

I was able to figure this out. I had another file file open and it was locking me out of making changes. Also I think I discovered a minor bug that once you edit a file and then go back to re-edit the file your locked out of making changes. The only way I have found to be able to edit the file to edit something else and then return to that file and it works.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 08:10 PM by fuzzylr.)
01-01-2013 07:12 AM
fuzzylr Offline

Hey,

I made a bit of progress with the MMO conversion code that you have listed. I've managed to loose my My Visual C++ 2010 professional CD so I am using the Express version till I can get one of the guys at work to download me a copy till I can afford to purchase it again. I should note I am a beginner programmer.

Any ideas on the error below.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 08:37 AM by fuzzylr.)
01-01-2013 08:30 AM
fuzzylr Offline

Last issue I have is that I can't seem to link back to enum.h. I even opened up the project in Visual studios and it wouldn't let me link it in.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
01-01-2013 10:28 PM
Skykill Offline

The file _enums.h are in EsenthelEngineSDK\Data\Enum, so copy the file (and the others) to your project Data folder (or everywhere you want) and adapt the code. That error isn't at all related to Esenthel but related to how C++ work it's just a missing header file wink.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 09:35 AM by Skykill.)
01-02-2013 09:30 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(01-01-2013 04:10 AM)fuzzylr Wrote:  Let me ask you a question. Are you doing VGA pass through? I can't seem to get direct X to work properly.
Sorry I don't know what that is. On my dedicated server I just installed DirectX runtime and it works.
I use WARP for software drawing on DX10+
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...s.85).aspx
I believe it must be some issue with your system.

Quote:So more to the point I started importing in the mmo source into 2.0
Once 2.0 becomes finished I will provide ports of the game demos from Esenthel Store to work with 2.0.
01-02-2013 02:07 PM
fuzzylr Offline

(01-02-2013 02:07 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 04:10 AM)fuzzylr Wrote:  Let me ask you a question. Are you doing VGA pass through? I can't seem to get direct X to work properly.
Sorry I don't know what that is. On my dedicated server I just installed DirectX runtime and it works.

Once 2.0 becomes finished I will provide ports of the game demos from Esenthel Store to work with 2.0.

I'm sure you had that on the list to do. I just want to be able to play around and mess things up learning. I really like how 2.0 looks. It just doesn't have a whole lot of documentation with it so it took some time to play with it and learn how it's setup.

I am very excited to get past semester 2 of school. When we actually get into real programing.

(01-02-2013 02:07 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  

natively virtual machines on hypervisors don't support any kind of 3D pass through on the hardware level. So I was just curious if the other guy was using VGA pass through on the hypervisor to get it to work.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 12:00 AM by fuzzylr.)
01-02-2013 11:58 PM
yvanvds Offline

When running a server on a virtual machine, it's not unusual to have DirectX problems. The virtual environment just doesn't support it. If you really want to persist, look into the swiftshader software. Be warned though, if you use a virtual hosting company swiftshader will allow the server to work, but it will take up a lot of resources, compared to other hosts on the same machine. They shut one of my servers down because of that.

Anyway, wouldn't it be better to move this part of the discussion to the support thread? I might be wrong, but I think that most of us are subscribed to this topic because it was about announcements and 2.0 in general.
01-03-2013 12:40 AM
fuzzylr Offline

(01-03-2013 12:40 AM)yvanvds Wrote:  When running a server on a virtual machine, it's not unusual to have DirectX problems. The virtual environment just doesn't support it. If you really want to persist, look into the swiftshader software. Be warned though, if you use a virtual hosting company swiftshader will allow the server to work, but it will take up a lot of resources, compared to other hosts on the same machine. They shut one of my servers down because of that.

Anyway, wouldn't it be better to move this part of the discussion to the support thread? I might be wrong, but I think that most of us are subscribed to this topic because it was about announcements and 2.0 in general.

Thank, XenServer allows for an ATI or Nvidia graphics card to be passed through to a virtual machine. It's a 1 for 1 match. So if you get like a blade server with a blade full of gpu's you can pass the gpu through to many VM's as you have GPU's. In my case I have a gpu installed but it's not passing through. I feel it might have something to do with the age of the motherboard. I really need to buy a server class board now. Now that School is in full switch and I am committing to an engine and programming and getting more people involved. I should invest into a serious box.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
01-04-2013 01:53 AM