About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Hello =)
c355050 Offline

Hello =)
Hello everyone. I have been looking at this forums for quite a while now and I am really happy to join the community. I especially like the showcase section of this forum, and I am amazed what all people achieve on their own.

And when I am watching the showcase videos I get really nice feelings and I want to build my own game step by step too, I have so many ideas and I love this field. But here is a problem. I am not really good programmer. I am coding PHP for like 6 months, and sometimes I get lost at the beginners stuff. I dont know how to best explain all that. I can do 3d models with Blender, I can do 2d graphics with Gimp and Photoshop, I can do many things, but when it comes to programming I am not very good at it. I have tried C++, I followed 200 tutorials of TheNewBoston (youtube), and I understood everything, but when it comes to more complex stuff I get really lost.

I have so many ideas for games and I love the field, I would really like to hear your honest opinion.
02-04-2013 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dylantan Offline

RE: Hello =)
Hi C355050 (wow that's a complex nickname). Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about getting lost, because honestly, we all (at one point or the other) will feel lost and don't know how to proceed further. This is where your real learning come into place. Of course best place to turn to might be the forum itself, I mean if you have real specific question (s). The good community may be able to help you.

Also its good idea to explore the tutorial first, get familiar with the coding style, and also check out some of the source code which you can buy from Esenthel Website for small charges.

If you seriously want to make game, you could do 2 things, either you have in depth planning of your game with every details you can get possible put down on paper, or if you just want to learn how to make game, then just start something really simple.

Other advice would be make friends here with the good community, but please don't annoy anyone with aggressive, or demanding questions.

Other than that, good luck and wish you all the best
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 10:14 AM by dylantan.)
02-04-2013 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
c355050 Offline

Hey, thanks for a welcome smile

I really dont know how would I go about all that. C++ to me seems VERY difficult. I am having many problems with PHP, at C++ there are tons more things to keep in mind and all. One good thing I see there is not having to worry about client, server side. I get lost so many times when mixing PHP with JS and stuff. Also when I look at the already written C++ code it looks really good to me, even when I cant understand 5% of it.

Would really like to hear more smile

Thanks.
02-05-2013 07:31 AM
dylantan Offline

I see.. Well can't help you much there bud. You just have find a way to understand C++ if you intend to make game in Esenthel. But I suggest you read some C++ books for beginner. You might want to get books like "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" or "C++ Programming for the Absolute Beginner" which is really easy to follow and read. I suggest also you to learn about how Visual Studio function and there are plenty of book or reference about Visual Studio. You can get them via Amazon. Book(s) and Google is your best friend if you serious about learning to program.

Honestly PHP is a bit messy for beginner, but once you get the hang of it, it is really not that hard. C++ however slightly more difficult to understand at first but then again, once you get rolling, you will be amaze by its flexibility. I think what you need is a mentor, who can guide you (but not teach you). We all still learning and I feel its good idea to have one mentor too when you really stuck and seeking advice.

I wish you all the best with C++ learning and hope we can start seeing some progress from you smile Will be cheering for you
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 02:35 PM by dylantan.)
02-05-2013 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gwald Offline

Hi and welcome.
The best way is going through the Tutorial's just work at learning and changing and adding to them... maybe start a new one by pulling bits out of the tuts.

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
02-17-2013 02:55 AM
fuzzylr Offline

Hi and welcome. I agree. The tutorials have some really good information in them. If you have a basic understanding of C++ you can easly add more features.

Fuzzy
Student|Westwood
Project V. Studios | Game Dev
02-17-2013 04:54 AM