About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Leadwerks Invasion
Canardian Offline

RE: Leadwerks Invasion
Hi guys!

I noticed that the Esenthel community is very friendly, and one of my finnish friends moved to Esenthel too to finish his game. He is a quite skillful artist.

Last time I checked out Esenthel engine, it was OK, but it had only DX. And now it has OpenGL and Android! Does it get also Code::Blocks+MinGW64 support on Windows?
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 06:06 PM by Canardian.)
02-27-2013 06:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wh1ps3r Offline

Hi Canardian smile what happen that you are here. hehe
02-27-2013 06:06 PM
Canardian Offline

I need to test Esenthel now again, since it is now version 2.0 and got many new features.

I'm still looking for the suitable engine to make my Ultima style MMO, where you start from zero and need to build up everything.
02-27-2013 06:20 PM
Ozmodian Offline

Love seeing lots of new faces on the forums. Welcome!
02-27-2013 06:21 PM
Flexman Offline

I think Canadian has come to write a wrapper in Fortran for us wink
Still, it's a shock to see him.
02-27-2013 07:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Canardian Offline

Make that SuperBasic. And I need MinGW64 for that, because it doesn't work with VS since it needs the latest C++11 compiler. I have great plans, and I just need an engine which has the few basic things I need:
1) Realtime shadows on Windows, Android, Linux, Mac, iPhone (preferreably shadow volumes and cascaded shadow mapping (or whatever the latest and best shadow mapping technique is) as an run-time option to switch).
2) Bullet physics on all those platforms (PhysX has no GPU support for nVidia and ATI).
3) GNU C++ on all those platforms (There are lots of C++ libraries as source code which need real C++, not VS).
4) OpenGL graphics. There are lots of C++ libraries and GLSL shaders which don't work with DX.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 07:27 PM by Canardian.)
02-27-2013 07:25 PM
wh1ps3r Offline

I thougt, Nvidia has GPU support for PhysX even when you install nvidia drivers, it installs drivers for PhysX.
02-27-2013 07:33 PM
Flexman Offline

Er, I thought PhysX has GPU support, that was the big selling point to start with?

Not that I would ever dream to argue with you smile

I was reading that hardware instancing is on the roadmap for Esenthel. I was a little surprised that it wasn't already available but I'm not in any hurry. My current projects take up more than enough time.

(btw, to me, SuperBasic is the version of Basic you got with the Sinclair QL microcomputer, why don't you call it Basic++?)
02-27-2013 07:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Canardian Offline

Yes, PhysX has nVidia GPU support, but I need nVidia and ATI GPU support, which Bullet 2.80+ has.
Basic++ sounds actually good, I will think about it. SuperBasic sounds indeed a bit 80's, although I like Sinclair Spectrum ZX80 too, but never had one, only C64, C64 II, Amiga 500 and 4000 smile
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 08:01 PM by Canardian.)
02-27-2013 07:37 PM
Rubeus Offline

PhysX supports hardware GPU on nVidia cards, but Bullet doesn't support hardware physics at all. They claim that v3 will support nVidia/ATI GPU acceleration, but they've been saying that for more than a year.
02-27-2013 09:07 PM
Canardian Offline

What? But on Bullet website it says:
"Bullet 2.80 released: GPU OpenCL rigid body pipeline, Android, deterministic Dynamica"
As far I understand, OpenCL works on all GPUs.

Now also 2.81 is released:
"It includes an Apple contribution of SIMD and Neon optimizations for Mac OSX and iOS."
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 09:13 PM by Canardian.)
02-27-2013 09:12 PM
Zervox Offline

There is more than just rigidbody support in Bullet. atleast when you take the compile the demos in the Bullet Demos yourself.
02-27-2013 09:30 PM
Canardian Offline

Sure, but in practice physics is all about rigid bodies, even more just about boxes, cylinders and balls. All other physics features are not so important and feasible in real games (too slow). Join them together to make compound objects and you have all you need for making any kind of game.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 09:50 PM by Canardian.)
02-27-2013 09:38 PM
Rubeus Offline

"Bullet 2.80 includes a preview of the GPU rigid body pipeline by Takahiro Harada"

It includes some pre-compiled binaries that someone else wrote---that's what it looks like to me, but I didn't look too far into it. It also only supports rigid bodies for the GPU acceleration.

OpenCL works on most GPUs made after ~2009/2010. It's an interesting idea to use the OpenCL for running real-time physics, as it was designed for non-graphical applications. It makes me wonder how well it would actually work in an actual game.
02-27-2013 09:46 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Hi Guys, yet another Leadwerks refugee. This engine seems to have aquired a lot of interest from most of our top devs so thought I'd sign up to the forum and take a look at Esenthel in a bit more detail.

I'm not really doing any dev work at the moment due to family commitments and once I do find time will probably stick with LE2 to complete my current engine. However, I'll then be looking for a replacement engine to migrate to.

Good to see some familair faces around here and looking forward to meeting some of the rest of the community.
03-01-2013 11:17 PM