About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Bullet Physics for Windows
kevindekever Offline

Bullet Physics for Windows
Please add bullet for Windows instead removing it. I would like to use bullet because of the terms in PhysX license "You are required to notify NVIDIA prior to use of the PHYSX SDK in the development of any commercial Physics Application." Is it possible? The new EE2.0 license is per seat, would you like to register every little cormercial physic-app on Windows or Android you would like to offer on Online-Store? And some people believe AMD cards can not run PhysX as fast as Nvidia cards and wont buy your products. Please comment in here why or why not physx!
03-04-2013 01:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aimless Offline

RE: Bullet Physics for Windows
+1
In my case i don't worry that much about licensing than cross platform issues. As there are big differences in physics behavior. For example I wanted to create multiplayer web and/or mobile game. If client runs bullet but server runs physx I am very limited in lag compensation / anti cheating possibilities. Currently only real option is to run physics only on server and interpolate its results on client. However with ping+interpolation the character controls would feel sluggish. As your input is shown on screen only after 100-200ms. I would like to extrapolate player for instant input and only make corrections from server. But with different physics engines the extrapolation would misdirect the result all the time.
10-17-2017 06:11 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

You can configure to use Bullet when having the Source License.

However in tests I've done long time ago, PhysX was much faster.

In the future, PhysX will be updated to the latest version, which will allow PhysX to be used on all platforms (but probably except Web as I'm not sure if it supports that platform).
10-18-2017 12:52 AM
Zervox Offline

(03-04-2013 01:00 AM)kevindekever Wrote:  Please add bullet for Windows instead removing it. I would like to use bullet because of the terms in PhysX license "You are required to notify NVIDIA prior to use of the PHYSX SDK in the development of any commercial Physics Application." Is it possible? The new EE2.0 license is per seat, would you like to register every little cormercial physic-app on Windows or Android you would like to offer on Online-Store? And some people believe AMD cards can not run PhysX as fast as Nvidia cards and wont buy your products. Please comment in here why or why not physx!

PhysX GPU acceleration is rarely done in most titles and hasn't been a thing for a while either, AMD cards also cannot accelerate PhysX, so no it does not cripple performance, as when developers are using GPU acceleration they are almost always purely cosmetic physics.

and because of that most AMD owners doesn't care if the game uses PhysX.
Edit: I should add that might be different case when it comes to latest PhysX where the rigid bodies actually can get accelerated by the GPU, but then again I've yet to see a developer who does use this feature due to potential issues with AMD customers.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2017 01:40 AM by Zervox.)
10-18-2017 01:34 AM
kevindekever Offline

Esenthel dont want it, so it will not come..it's like the really, really long Roadmap disappeared but still linked in the guide -> http://www.esenthel.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3332
I like the Engine, i like some of the new features ... but i will not support this kind of updating//feature developement. Still missing lot of promised features like shader editor, a must have in gamedev.

but esenthel define his guideline http://www.esenthel.com/forum/showthread...1#pid51071

so good luck, or do it yourself
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 09:21 PM by kevindekever.)
10-28-2017 09:20 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(10-18-2017 12:52 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  You can configure to use Bullet when having the Source License.
It's a 1 line of code change.

Shader Editor was never "promised" to anyone, as I've explained in another post, developing such a complex feature requires a lot of time and funding, which I don't have.

Thank you for your lack of support.
10-28-2017 11:12 PM