About Store Forum Documentation Contact

New to this engine
uNetti Offline

New to this engine
Hi,

So I am new to this community and engine so please bare with me.

I am wondering what is causing the actor to slow down and not able
to move past objects?

I have attached video displaying gameplay:

I am wondering why be default it was not designed to just slide to the side
if it was not able to move forward, I foresee allot of work in fixing paths.

Another thing, what about mmo/admin tools, is there any available? Like
account administration, moving characters, changing subscription etc.

Also I have already experienced crashes using this very limited source, I am
a bit surprised to see it crash.

Also, I opened up this port both TCP+UDP on my router myip:65535. And I am
not able to connect, I checked my windows firewall and even disabled it.
If I run apache http on the port, it works just fine, so what other ports am I
missing?
At least it worked when I changed port to (1000-2000) range not sure what
is the problem.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 04:14 PM by uNetti.)
03-10-2013 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: New to this engine
Hello!

Quote:I am wondering why be default it was not designed to just slide to the side
if it was not able to move forward, I foresee allot of work in fixing paths.
This was discussed in this topic http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=5945

Quote:Also I have already experienced crashes using this very limited source, I am
a bit surprised to see it crash.
Did you modify anything in the codes?
Can you please attach screenshot from Visual Studio callstack?

Quote:Also, I opened up this port both TCP+UDP on my router myip:65535. And I am
not able to connect, I checked my windows firewall and even disabled it.
If I run apache http on the port, it works just fine, so what other ports am I
missing?
Try first running server and client on the same machine, and on the client use only the local address of the server (not global).

Quote:Another thing, what about mmo/admin tools, is there any available? Like
account administration, moving characters, changing subscription etc.
Esenthel MMO and Ineisis Online don't have any separate tools, sorry.
03-10-2013 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uNetti Offline

Cheers, I will attach screenshot once I start coding more, and no there was no modifications.

Still allot for me to learn about the engine and choices to make, thanks for your patience, I will try and compile a list of things I want to make if there is none out there yet. Generally I have allot of suggestion to the wiki, to improve documentation and stupid questions, I also understand your more or less alone doing everything which is kinda impossible, as Richard Branson says, the key to success is to delegate grin

First off I would like to know, how easy is to use external programs? If I make each of this modules as dll, and then include them. I kinda wish the wiki would mention important external libraries.

Secondly I would like to know what my options are in regards of making tools. Will I get credit, or should I sell them on my own website like how your store works?

At least this is my wishlist and I have no idea if of this is available so please correct me:
  • Input hud for movement like GamePlay Engine for iOS/Android
  • Quests library and gui, both server and client side as event scripts, and ability to modify and fix them on the spot.
  • Account/Character administration library and gui, subscription, status, character location, inventory, quests status, etc.
  • Map generator on demand for endless playable world and region. This contains allot of work and tools, maybe you need to create 100s maps for different region and each time your character moves into uncharted area it picks one of the maps from the 100s? (Think Minecraft)
  • Portal/City system (Could be part of Map generator)
  • Auction house
  • In-game mail box
  • Dungeon generator (I loved Anarchy Online random dungeon/mission generator)
  • Game Pause (Current example is RTS Game can't be paused when opening the menu)
  • Anti-Cheat detection (Speed detection, currency, dubbing items, warp hack)
  • Achievement system
  • Facebook/Twitter integration
  • Chat server integration, chat bots
  • Trade between players
  • etc...
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 06:44 PM by uNetti.)
03-10-2013 06:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scarlet Thread Offline

Sounds like you're after an MMO Maker judging by those feature requests?

A lot of those things you would generally code yourself. Some of them would be rather simple to do, some others not so (like the Random Map Generators).
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 11:52 PM by Scarlet Thread.)
03-10-2013 11:50 PM
uNetti Offline

Well, that depends, there is at least one feature on the list that is not MMO Component like Game Pause smile

But it is true, I admire MMO games more for this platforms, if I wanted single player games with great 3D I would target xbox/ps3 consoles. Using Marmalade and similar is allot faster for mobile development in my opinion.

Ineisis demo was what persuaded me to try out Esenthel. grin
03-11-2013 12:36 AM
TBJokers Offline

99% of those feature requests you will have to do on your own. I don't think, and I also hope Esenthel will not focus on creating an MMO-Maker Engine. But as Scarlet said, some, most of those features you can do fairly easy. I suggest to learn how to program etc, if you already can, then well. You should know what to do smile To help you out, there are a lot of examples on the forums and, the store.

Man, it's always that semicolon...
03-11-2013 03:22 AM
uNetti Offline

Wow does anyone ever read http://www.esenthel.com/?id=compare ?

Esenthel is claiming it to be built-in mmo, in par with Hero Engine and BigWorld Engine, both which has speedtree and allot of mmo tools, even torque 3d mmokit offers more utils by default.

I'm simply making a list of what i would like and to hear if anyone has suggestions for it.
03-11-2013 04:11 AM
gwald Offline

(03-11-2013 04:11 AM)uNetti Wrote:  Wow does anyone ever read http://www.esenthel.com/?id=compare ?

I read it, and thought it was pretty impressive smile
It's still impressive and I'm sure he can add more to it now with v2!
Although "version control server" isn't there on v2, i'm sure it's on the road map.

Oh it still has the old v1 price lol

(03-11-2013 04:11 AM)uNetti Wrote:  Esenthel is claiming it to be built-in mmo, in par with Hero Engine and BigWorld Engine, both which has speedtree and allot of mmo tools, even torque 3d mmokit offers more utils by default.

Esenthel has mmo capabilities, it's not an mmo engine.

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 04:23 AM by gwald.)
03-11-2013 04:20 AM
uNetti Offline

Yeah :-)

I'm still wondering what to focus my time on first from that list. So much i want, so little time...
03-11-2013 04:24 AM
gwald Offline

mate, start small, go through the tuts.. learn the headers
Esenthel makes everything look easy grin grin grin
It's a great library smile

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
03-11-2013 04:40 AM
Ozmodian Offline

Hi uNetti, welcome to the Esenthel community. I truely hope that you enjoy your time here.

I have to agree with the posts from gwald, Joker, and Scarlet in saying that I think you are miss understanding what the Esenthel engine is (and is designed to be). It is not an MMO game maker (like Hero Engine for instance). People use Esenthel for more than just MMOs (see Lucius for instance http://lucius.shivergames.com/ ).

Quote:Wow does anyone ever read http://www.esenthel.com/?id=compare ?

Esenthel is claiming it to be built-in mmo, in par with Hero Engine and BigWorld Engine, both which has speedtree and allot of mmo tools, even torque 3d mmokit offers more utils by default.

That comment i completely dis-agree with. Esenthel's claims are completely valid as it is a AAA engine that stands up well to any other engine. What I feel people have come to love about Esenthel is that you can do everything with C++ and it does not force you to write everything using pre-built "tools" or scripting languages.

Those features you requested may be helpful for some people, however, I do not think I would rank those as a priority for Esenthel to develop himself. There have been people who tried to make tools for the community (most notably EEDevTools https://www.assembla.com/spaces/EEDevTools/wiki) and those efforts are always appreciated. If that is something that you are thinking of doing, I totally support that. I just don't think it is a good idea to be presenting those as features that should be pre-built into the Engine.

Please don't take my comments in a negative way. You are new the community and we always love new faces around here. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
03-11-2013 04:46 AM
fatcoder Offline

(03-11-2013 04:46 AM)Ozmodian Wrote:  What I feel people have come to love about Esenthel is that you can do everything with C++ and it does not force you to write everything using pre-built "tools" or scripting languages.

You've hit the nail on the head right there. I've been using EE for years, and it is this very reason that makes the engine so good. Too many engines try to put a tool in for everything, rather than just expose a feature in code.
03-11-2013 05:07 PM
uNetti Offline

First off, I am not misunderstanding anything, its you guys that keeps putting your will on others and refuses to understand people like me, to the point of annoyance.

Pre-built anything except the most essential parts into the engine is a bad idea no matter what. I never said they should be nor would I want them to be. Understand I am talking about what I am considering working on, and I have been asking what is already available so I don't need to work on it, what in the world does this have to do with Esenthel in the first place?

I truly think the engine already has too much, at least its not my first option for mobile platform development, what your not using from the engine, should not be included in the package. Example is, most demo applications I have made for Android/iOS are normally 1-2 MB in size. If you make a new application, with a simple "hello world" text, its 41.5 MB when you click the publish for windows and android it was 11.2 MB which is allot for an android application, with 1 line of code in it.

So if you don't have anything constructive to say about tools or kits people can use, please refrain from writing, I am here to get inspired.

Is torque 3D the definition of MMO game maker? I would not say so, but it also has a MMO Kit that has allot more features then what I can find on this forums at the moment.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 06:34 PM by uNetti.)
03-11-2013 06:13 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Hi uNetti and welcome. I too am new to this engine and forum and am generally still assessing the engine and finding my feet.

Reading through this post there seems to have misunderstanding on both sides, however, the impression I'm picking up so far is that most of the posters feel there is little demand for additional tools or maybe more to the point if tools are needed they are more likely to build the tools themselves possibly to customize them to their own game requirements.

I would suggest that if you have good tool making experience (which you appear to be implying) and these tools are genuinely required for your own game development needs then go ahead and make them and demo the practical advantages of using them. That way you might inspire people to want them.

Otherwise, the more traditional approach is to ask people what tools they might want and an estimate of what they would be prepared to pay for them (if it's your intention to make money from this endeavour).

One thing is for sure though, you cannot manufacture a market place that genuinely doesn't exist! I wish you luck.
03-11-2013 07:02 PM
uNetti Offline

Cheers Pixel Perfect and thanks.

Maybe I am just horrible at communication, I just don't see how I could write: "this is my wishlist and I have no idea if of this is available so please correct me" anymore clear smile
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 07:18 PM by uNetti.)
03-11-2013 07:15 PM