About Store Forum Documentation Contact

World Corruption on Update
EthanC Offline

World Corruption on Update
Trying to figure out why the game won't load into anything but an empty world since updating, I realized that the latest world editor is corrupting my existing world data.

The existing world data is:

Area Size 128
HM Resolution 34
Path 16

But every time i try loading the world into the newest editor everything is in the wrong place. Objects don't correspond to the heightmap anymore and I found out it's because the editor is setting the world data to:

Area Size 32
HM Resolution 64
Path 32

In addition to this, I've noticed that the viewable area no longer has any control over when objects render into view in the distance. The area view apparently only control the heightmap rendering. Objects from miles away are unaffected and still rendering murdering the FPS of the editor.
03-15-2013 11:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: World Corruption on Update
Could you please specify what version of Esenthel are you using?
Is it 1.0 or 2.0.
Also, what Esenthel build number were you using before update, and what build are you using now?

Does the world load correctly in the World Editor tool?
Did you try rebuilding the world? (if in 1.0)
Does the world display correctly in World Editor "Play" game mode?
03-16-2013 12:01 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Just tried loading worlds with latest EE SDK World Editor version:
Esenthel MMO (world made in year 2010) - ok
Esenthel RPG 2 (world made in year 2011) - ok

Please make sure that your worlds have "*.world/edit/settings" file (if you're copying from somewhere like svn, make sure all files got downloaded)
03-16-2013 12:09 AM
EthanC Offline

I think the problem is/was in the settings file. Once I copied the "old" one back over the editor was able to see the world just fine.

I'm trying to build it right now (the embedding objects stage is going about 1% per minute) to see if it makes a difference at launch.

Jesus it's going slow. It's going to take like 3 hours to build the world at this rate. Is that typical for the newer versions of the SDK?

I just noticed that most of the time the editor is building at about 0% cpu load... it spikes up to 20-30 occasionally but that's it.

(03-16-2013 12:09 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Just tried loading worlds with latest EE SDK World Editor version:
Esenthel MMO (world made in year 2010) - ok
Esenthel RPG 2 (world made in year 2011) - ok

Please make sure that your worlds have "*.world/edit/settings" file (if you're copying from somewhere like svn, make sure all files got downloaded)

I'd like to know, from you once and for all, what circumstances would require the world being rebuilt? Going from old 1.0 SDK to new 1.0 SDK? Going from 1.0 to 2.0?
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 12:54 AM by EthanC.)
03-16-2013 12:20 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:I'm trying to build it right now (the embedding objects stage is going about 1% per minute) to see if it makes a difference at launch.
Hello, this depends on the scale of your world, however I think it should go faster.
If you want you can provide me your data folder with world, so I could test that manually.
Quote:I'd like to know, from you once and for all, what circumstances would require the world being rebuilt? Going from old 1.0 SDK to new 1.0 SDK? Going from 1.0 to 2.0?
in 1.0 you need to rebuild only the areas that you've changed. (this is not needed when updating SDK, unless it is mentioned in the version history release notes)
2.0 automatically manages world building so you don't need to do there anything.
03-16-2013 08:43 PM
EthanC Offline

You already have the world data folder Greg. Remember that zipped file I had you download last week? If not, I can provide that link in private again.

I started it at 1:30am. It's now 6am and has gone about 45% through the "embedding objects" phase. The world size is 53,000 area files at 128 heightmap resolution.

Check your PMs please.
03-18-2013 12:15 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,
I was provided with SVN links, but as I mentioned before they did not contain any worlds inside the "Data/World" folder or any other folders.
Please provide me the world's and I will check that for you.
03-18-2013 01:45 PM
Ozmodian Offline

Wow, not cool Ethan. Esenthel has already offered to help you on this thread and that is way outside his obligation to any one license holder.

http://divergence-online.blogspot.com/

Quote: Progress is being made, but we spend a lot of time waiting on responses from our engine maker.
03-19-2013 05:21 AM
EthanC Offline

(03-19-2013 05:21 AM)Ozmodian Wrote:  Wow, not cool Ethan. Esenthel has already offered to help you on this thread and that is way outside his obligation to any one license holder.

http://divergence-online.blogspot.com/

Quote: Progress is being made, but we spend a lot of time waiting on responses from our engine maker.

When you've done something, anything, let me know. Until then, please refrain of speaking of things you know naught of. Good day.

Quote:syc·o·phant [sik-uh-fuhnt, -fant, sahy-kuh-]
noun
a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite.
03-19-2013 05:54 AM
gwald Offline

@Ozmodian, I think that's a fair comment.
Ethan's running out of time and has to deliver.

It's in Esenthel's best interest to help get it's brand out - favorably.
And this one will be one of the bigger ones to out there, so it's important.

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
03-19-2013 05:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
knocks Offline

Déjà vu
03-19-2013 06:09 AM
EthanC Offline

(03-19-2013 05:58 AM)gwald Wrote:  @Ozmodian, I think that's a fair comment.
Ethan's running out of time and has to deliver.

It's in Esenthel's best interest to help get it's brand out - favorably.
And this one will be one of the bigger ones to out there, so it's important.

Thank you sir.

Please keep in mind that as per the jobs thread, I remain willing to pay for support if necessary to anyone who might be willing and able to help my guys solve the one issue we've been struggling with for over six months.

I'm more than willing to staff an "Esenthel expert" to get over this hump, but the issue is there just aren't many "experts" with this engine because not many people have heard of it.
03-19-2013 06:24 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

@Ethan Your response to Ozmodian just cost you my respect, I appreciate your frustration but that does not allow you to start insulting members of this forum.

As far as I can see Greg has responded in a timely fashion to your posts and requests. Your comment that Ozmodian quoted does on the face of it seem somewhat unjustified.

(03-19-2013 06:24 AM)EthanC Wrote:  I'm more than willing to staff an "Esenthel expert" to get over this hump, but the issue is there just aren't many "experts" with this engine because not many people have heard of it.
Just an observation but, if you believe that to be true, it seems a strange judgement call on your part then to choose this engine when the survival of your project appears to depend on getting programmers!
03-19-2013 09:24 AM
candam Offline

Hold on guys chill out the best thing we can see here is respect and we all know that the engine developer Greg is doing his best he is nearly answering all the issues on the forum wasting his time and we must know that he has a life
Ethanc we know that you've some troubles with your game but please it's not good to direct some words like that to another member
(Ozmodian) he was only telling you that Greg is doing his best nothing more

please relax guys

grin
03-19-2013 11:43 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

The moment Ethan posted his project Divergence into the Showcase forum http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=5994 , I was very impressed with both his persistence and what he has created over the years, and to show my support for his project I've granted him privately 1 bonus Esenthel 2.0 license free of charge with congratulations what he has done. I've also asked about possible cooperation, but during chat on Skype we have not come to agreement on terms.

Few days later at 2 am my time zone about to go to sleep, Ethan and Unetti started skyping me asking that I explain something in the engine for them.
After sending them a PM
Esenthel Wrote:Hello,

For requesting support please use the forum.

Thank you

I've received a reply
EthanC Wrote:Really mature Greg.

Alright, I'm not going to twist any arms. If that's the relationship you want to have, that's how it'll be. Just don't expect any free advertising if all I can expect is the bare minimum aid in return.

-Ethan

This is the thanks that I get for showing my support and giving something for free.

Now I get to hear what's Ethan blogging about publicly
EthanC Wrote:Progress is being made, but we spend a lot of time waiting on responses from our engine maker.
As if me and the engine are to blame for whatever is happening with Ethan's project.

I've decided to make this post public, because Ethan is going too far, messaging me disrespectfuly privately is one thing, but blogging in public about putting blame on me and the engine has gone too far.
03-19-2013 11:45 AM