About Store Forum Documentation Contact

The Kingdom Of Soul
candam Offline

RE: The Kingdom Of Soul
(12-15-2013 11:59 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  Thanks Roland, Greg.

Slight update. Had to code my own waypoint support today as I needed waypoints to contain individual directional information too. Put a directionalWaypoint class together and added a series of waypoint objects for Spawn points (Red), Patrol points (Blue) and Paths (Yellow). These are drawn in debug mode, as shown below, but not in release. The arrows visibly indicate the orientation set.

Awesome Update And good job overall Pixel smile

I hope to get to this level as you one day

one question please

why do you have such a frame rate can you give me your Pc Specs

Thank you

I'm asking this question because in Esenthel 2 rpg I'm getting above 50 in full graphics on my laptop i5 with amd hd 7670
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 11:42 AM by candam.)
12-16-2013 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Cheers Candam smile

The frame rate varies a lot in my level at the moment mainly because I do not have much lodding in place and also it's running in debug mode in that shot with a lot of physics based rain too. I get double the frame rate generally when running in release mode.

I'm sure there will be plenty of scope for optimization later but it's not too high on my list of priorities whilst I'm still putting the basic game mechanics together.

My PC spec is as follows:

Intel i5 @2.67Ghz
8Gb RAM
Nvidia GTX460
Windows 7 64 bit

[EDIT] Silly me ... I forgot to mention there are also 100 animated NPCs spread over that level too, all navigating to valid random positions on the navMesh!
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2013 01:25 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
12-16-2013 12:57 PM
candam Offline

(12-16-2013 12:57 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  Cheers Candam smile

The frame rate varies a lot in my level at the moment mainly because I do not have much lodding in place and also it's running in debug mode in that shot with a lot of physics based rain too. I get double the frame rate generally when running in release mode.

I'm sure there will be plenty of scope for optimization later but it's not too high on my list of priorities whilst I'm still putting the basic game mechanics together.

My PC spec is as follows:

Intel i5 @2.67Ghz
8Gb RAM
Nvidia GTX460
Windows 7 64 bit

[EDIT] Silly me ... I forgot to mention there are also 100 animated NPCs spread over that level too, all navigating to valid random positions on the navMesh!

Awesome I got your point looking forward new updates about your project
12-16-2013 01:57 PM
gdalex Offline

Looks very nice.
And you're right, we should all post more images/videos/ideas about our projects.
I'll try to post a few things from my MMORPG project soon wink
12-16-2013 03:03 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thanks again guys!

(12-16-2013 03:03 PM)gdalex Wrote:  And you're right, we should all post more images/videos/ideas about our projects.
I'll try to post a few things from my MMORPG project soon wink
I look forward to that gdalex.

I really think more posts about on-going developments can only help his community and engine. These things make a community feel alive and vibrant which encourages others to join and buy the engine.

The asset store has been a good move in this direction too imo.
12-16-2013 06:01 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Not been around much recently due to a family bereavement but have a few more things to show as work continues on my project.

My AI work in EKI One has been progressing well and I now have full patrol functionality working including automated changing of guards with lip synced speech support allowing the guards to exchange conversation during the handover.

I also have, in addition to the general nav mesh based path finding, a system of pathways based on waypoints which allow NPCs to follow set pathways during normal behaviour but able to break off and fully use the nav mesh when under threat/attack.

I'm also working on implementing a simple a-star waypoint node search to enable NPCs to calculate which combinations of paths they need to follow to get from any one point on the map to another seamlessly.

Typical waypoint path in the Level Editor:

I've also been experimenting with some new areas to my game including - The Keep:

Next up, once the path routing functionality is completed, is ambient NPC AI for everyday life in the village. Need to get that fully populated and looking realistic with hopefully some character interaction!
02-08-2014 06:36 PM
TheElk Offline

@Pixel Perfect

Nice keep looking good !!
02-08-2014 06:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ozmodian Offline

Looks great pixel. Thanks a lot for sharing with us
02-08-2014 06:50 PM
xzessmedia Offline

wow awesome, im not often in this board, im still reading on this thread, but the images are impressive. great work!
im looking forward to kingdoms of soul, keep on! smile
02-23-2014 11:57 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Cheers guys smile

I now have my A star based pathways routine up and running and, with a few test waypoint trails have tested, I have NPCs choosing realistic combinations of pathways across the terrain when moving between areas of the map.

The intention is, under peaceful conditions, they will always use these pathways but if attacked will then use the full nav mesh to enable 'off pathway' navigation through the rest of the terrain ... like running off into woods etc.

Here comes the interesting bit, determining where to paint the pathways in the more mountainous areas will be done by observing the random motion of a 100 or so NPCs through the level and identifying natural routes through the topography that are highlighted by the nav mesh based path finding.

Once these identified pathways are painted on the terrain, and extended to the key locations on the map, 'path waypoints' will be placed along them and used to feed into the pathway solver.

Thus, when moving from A to B, I determine the closest pathway waypoint to both the start and end positions and use the solver to determine an optimal list of path waypoints between them.

This ensures the NPCs initially join the closest pathway and then follow the pathways till they reach the closest point to their destination, breaking off at that point and navigating using the nav mesh to their final destination.

This should will give the appearance of NPCs being aware of natural paths through their environment and choosing these to travel between differing locations without having to hard code routes between destinations.

These waypoint based pathways will only be used in open countryside. Populated areas will simply use nav mesh navigation as that's generally more appropriate in built up or densely populated areas.
02-26-2014 12:25 AM
TheElk Offline

Pixel Perfect

Can't wait to see it in action !!
02-26-2014 06:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thanks. Hoping to feature quite a bit of AI in my next video.
02-26-2014 06:07 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Had a break from my AI work to add animated light objects to the editor complete with light flickering and position shifting to give nice flame shadow dancing type effects. I can effectively add any animated material for special effects along with controllable lighting and just drag and drop them into the scene ... fires, candle flames, spells, portals and so on.

I want to finish the current AI I'm working on before showing any more video but here's a screenshot of the first scene I've used the lighting in:

04-02-2014 12:30 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

Damn, that is really starting to look pro. Very.

It is really really good, I sure hope you get to finish it soon and we can play it. IT looks awesome!
04-02-2014 06:57 AM
Rubeus Offline

The picture on the wall is freaking me out.
04-02-2014 07:04 AM