About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Materials with Glow not working after Update
cmontiel Offline

RE: Materials with Glow not working after Update
(04-11-2013 06:29 AM)EthanC Wrote:  Is there a way I can just chuck the new shader system and go back to the one that worked, or is that something that can't be changed? I don't really feel like making a custom shader for every model that worked before and now doesn't work.

You could use a previous version of esenthel or create one shader for all your models, you don't need a shader for each model.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
04-15-2013 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EthanC Offline

(04-15-2013 12:12 PM)cmontiel Wrote:  
(04-11-2013 06:29 AM)EthanC Wrote:  Is there a way I can just chuck the new shader system and go back to the one that worked, or is that something that can't be changed? I don't really feel like making a custom shader for every model that worked before and now doesn't work.

You could use a previous version of esenthel or create one shader for all your models, you don't need a shader for each model.

Ok, so where is the documentation on how to create a custom shader in Esenthel? I've used search and the only thing I keep finding is people talking about making them with no info on how to go about it.

The engine is really shooting itself in the foot with this downgrade also when you consider that now there are all these "lava" materials even included with the engine and now all of a sudden the actual lava coming up between the cracks don't glow at all like it used to. It looked great before, now it just looks cheap.

Thanks for you help.
04-15-2013 11:39 PM
cmontiel Offline

Except this: http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Shaders

there isn't documentation for shaders. Only tutorials (at least in EE 1.0) with explanations. Anyway custom shaders in esenthel are VERY similar to HLSL and there is lot of information and examples on the internet.

I want to say that I am not expert in shaders, in fact I am stuck with a simple shader pfft:

http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=5939

But I will try to help.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 12:04 AM by cmontiel.)
04-16-2013 12:00 AM
para Offline

Quote: I don't really feel like making a custom shader for every model that worked before and now doesn't work.
You write the shader once, if you don't like to change each material to the custom shader you can write a app to batch change the materials in one go. (should only be about a screen worth of code)

Quote:Ok, so where is the documentation on how to create a custom shader in Esenthel? I've used search and the only thing I keep finding is people talking about making them with no info on how to go about it.
That documentation would be the tutorials / engine headers. If you mean actual shader (hlsl) code, there's plenty of resources and code around the net... or if you meant to imply that people are all talk and no show, let me quickly remedy that with a shot of a custom post-process shader:

code requires some cleaning up before posting, but I learned how to apply such a shader from the tutorial: shaders / 07 - 2d shader using backbufffer.
04-16-2013 01:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EthanC Offline

I appreciate your input Para but that one line of code is one line more code than the artist who makes the model will have any idea whatsoever on how to make.

To sum up what I'm hearing, "What previously didn't require programming skill, now requires programming skill". That isn't an upgrade, that's a liability.
04-16-2013 01:17 AM
para Offline

Sorry for messing up the page formatting, but since it's done anyway..:

from further away:

Quote:I appreciate your input Para but that one line of code is one line more code than the artist who makes the model will have any idea whatsoever on how to make.
The artists don't have to do anything, just continue as usual, the point is the automatic conversion.. I think the little time it takes to make it, is worth it.

Quote:To sum up what I'm hearing, "What previously didn't require programming skill, now requires programming skill". That isn't an upgrade, that's a liability.
At some point your game will require some programming skill to be applied. This issue is the least of which is needed. A 30 minute exercise..

-edit:
with complex materials (bump, spec, etc)

and finally, with everything + glow:

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 02:20 AM by para.)
04-16-2013 01:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Cool screenshots para. On the subject of Shaders, I agree that any professional game dev team is going to require someone with knowledge of shader design these days, it's almost inevitable!
04-16-2013 08:25 AM