About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Problems with Code Syncing
TheElk Offline

RE: Problems with Code Syncing
I just synced our project and no problems I would say it is your net or something else. Wish I could help you.
06-03-2013 12:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

xzess, does it mess up on the server side so you pull down messed up files, or is it messed up locally, but the server has a working set?
06-03-2013 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Next release will have this feature:
-added support for exporting application source code files as raw text files (without converting them to C++) via new menu option "Export/Text"

you can use it to backup your code files before code syncing, and later verify changes

Now I'll try to reproduce your issues.
06-03-2013 01:35 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(05-19-2013 07:36 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  Thanks for that info, TheElk. I tried what you said-I synced code 2 times in a row, and it let me open the file. X_x I feel a bit silly, now.

Hopefully Esenthel will get this fixed soon. smile
This should work fine already, you need to select sync 2 times, however 1 per different machine:
-sync on A to send/receive changes to/from server
then
-sync on B to send/receive changes to/from server (now getting changes from A)

Just tried it and works.

All project elements are synced automatically, except Code elements which are synced manually.
(I'll add above information to the "can't load" message box)

Quote:Some visual indicator would help, at least inform that some form of syncing in occurring and its progress.
syncing is instant (unless other elements in queue are being synced/downloaded/uploaded first)
You can verify EE sync network usage by hovering mouse over "online" text on the bottom

Quote:for some reason I get about 6mb down and then it stops dead. I disconnect, and it gets another 6mb and stops.
everytime you connect to server at startup it compares the project elements and performs necessary syncing, if it stops probably it means the syncing has finished.
06-03-2013 01:48 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(06-02-2013 10:13 PM)xzessmedia Wrote:  this is about the 20x i lost my data... together many many hours of work..
Can you tell me how many times the syncing works correctly and how many it isn't?
If it happens so frequently can you provide me a sample project data just before syncing after which it would mess the codes:
client 1 project (7zipped)
client 2 project (7zipped)
server project (7zipped)
and steps to reproduce the syncing problem.

I've just tried attempts of making code changes on 2 clients and then syncing them together but it appears to be working without issues.

Also are you syncing between two Windows clients, or is Mac involved? Is the Server app on Win/Mac?

Thank you
06-03-2013 03:15 PM
xzessmedia Offline

(04-30-2013 05:31 AM)xzessmedia Wrote:  i worked on machine 1 which is win7, synced the code.. on machine 2 which is mac i synced also, i retrieved the data, after some working on the code on machine 2, i saved file and synced the code to the server again (to upload it) and all my code messed like this (machine2)..

server = windows 2008
client1 = win7
client2 = OSX (mac os)

the code seem to be messed up on the server because even the machine which sent the code retrieves wrong code mess so everything is destroyed after that..
sorry for beeing mad last post, but i worked 24 hours on code and after that everything messed up so everything had to rewritten..

i don't have much time atm for testing things but for me its enough to create a new project on the windows machine and do some coding.. then sync with server... then first time connect with osx client and retrieve data... change some parts in code on that machine and then resync again to upload code...
the next sync from the windows machine which first synced with server will mess everything up!
i can create a test project in some months.. currently i am on business travel and only live in hotels for months so i don't have my pc only my macbook air
06-12-2013 05:26 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thank you, I'll do some tests with Win<->Mac code syncing
06-29-2013 08:58 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Good news is that I was able to reproduce the problem, it appears to happen only on Win<->Mac syncing (Win<->Win works fine), I'll try to fix it in first priority.
07-06-2013 04:01 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello!

After long and heavy debugging and trying to make the Google Diff Match Patch library based on Qt framework to work without actually using Qt framework I think I managed to finally fix the issue smile

I'm uploading the latest versions for all platforms now (will finish within an hour).
Code syncing should now work OK, and on all platfroms the same.

Also this release features SVN export/import so you can use that as an alternative to built-in syncing.
07-09-2013 06:39 PM
xzessmedia Offline

great news! thank you very much
07-09-2013 07:06 PM