About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Getting error when Trying to build first app
Spinel Offline

Getting error when Trying to build first app
Hi,

Please let me know if something is missing, I was following this video just to see how people start with the engine.

I downloaded Visual Studio C++ Express, after that, I configured as guided in the video, but when trying to play, I get this error:

C:\Esenthel\Projects\_Build_\1 - Basic App\Project 2010.vcxproj : warning : Platform 'x64' referenced in the project file '1 - Basic App' cannot be found. Please make sure you have it installed under '%VCTargetsPath%\Platforms\x64'.
1>------ Build started: Project: 1 - Basic App, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> Commands.cpp
1> Main.cpp
1> Generating Code...
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I'm not really familiar with Visual Studio problems, this may be easy to solve, let me know if there is any information missing.

Thanks
11-01-2013 02:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rofar Offline

RE: Getting error when Trying to build first app
Change the project to 32 bit instead of 64 bit and it should work. I don't think Visual Studio Express supports 64 bit builds out of the box.
11-01-2013 02:31 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi!

This is an issue with VS 2010, not with EE itself.

Try installing VS 2010 SP1 (Service Pack), or VS 2012 or VS 2008.

That should solve it smile

Personally I use 2008 because it compiles codes much faster.
11-01-2013 03:17 AM
Spinel Offline

it seems to me that for some reason I don't have windows sdk 7.1 installed. I'll be looking into it, but if thats the case, we should add this in wiki just to make sure no one make this mistake again

http://www.esenthel.com/community/printt...p?tid=5613
11-01-2013 03:28 AM
Spinel Offline

AHAHAHA FINALLY

Well, I'm not really sure if thats worth putting somewhere, but in any case.. at the first time I was receiving the warning:

warning : Platform 'x64' referenced in the project file '1 - Basic App' cannot be found. Please make sure you have it installed under '%VCTargetsPath%\Platforms\x64'.

in order to fix it I unistalled all runtime and redists from 2010 Visual C++ (along with Visual C++ itself ) and then I first downloaded and installed Windows SDK 7.1

when that completed. I installed Visual Studio Again, and also 2010 SP1 (not sure if this SP1 was really needed), but what really solved the problem (the error message in the bottom line) was Update on the Compiler

at least now I can go to sleep knowing that tomorrow night I'll be able to do some real work in EE.

Good Night!

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 04:33 AM by Spinel.)
11-01-2013 04:30 AM
Emtec Offline

In my opinion the fastest and the easiest way to solve this problem is to remove or rename the older version of the "cvtres.exe". The file is located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\cvtres.exe
and
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\cvtres.exe

After this there are no problems with vs2010 and vs2012.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 11:38 PM by Emtec.)
11-01-2013 11:36 PM
Rofar Offline

(11-01-2013 02:31 AM)Rofar Wrote:  Change the project to 32 bit instead of 64 bit and it should work. I don't think Visual Studio Express supports 64 bit builds out of the box.

I apologize for posting information that appears to be incorrect or not helpful. I have never used Express editions so my "guess" was just based on things I think I have heard in the past.

I'll try to do a better job in the future of just posting when I know what the heck I am talking about smile
11-02-2013 12:07 AM
Spinel Offline

no worries about that, I could just have missed this point, so its always valid to check everything
11-02-2013 03:01 AM
Rubeus Offline

Actually, you are right-Express doesn't support x64 'out of the box'(although I think this changed with 2012). The Windows SDK includes the x64 compiler.
11-02-2013 03:44 AM
Scalu Offline

I just wanted to comment on this as I just fixed the same problem based on the information below:

(11-01-2013 11:36 PM)Emtec Wrote:  In my opinion the fastest and the easiest way to solve this problem is to remove or rename the older version of the "cvtres.exe". The file is located in:

and

I renamed C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\BIN\cvtres.exe to cvtres.exe.backup, but did not rename C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\cvtres.exe. After that, I could compile without any problems.
05-15-2014 07:09 PM
Trent242 Offline

(11-01-2013 11:36 PM)Emtec Wrote:  In my opinion the fastest and the easiest way to solve this problem is to remove or rename the older version of the "cvtres.exe". The file is located in:

and

Worked like a charm!
06-01-2014 10:10 AM