About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Server side pathing vice client side
jagatai Offline

Server side pathing vice client side
Quick Question:

Noted the tut's regarding pathing, if i understand it correctly in order to have server side provide pathing it has to be able to manage the world?

my question becomes, in the game world update ( vec ) <<< does that mean i would have to iterate thru each connected client passing their pos into the world update in order for the server to keep track of the player objects in the world server side like it does on client?

hope im making sense.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I read Esenthel 2.0 uses Recast, does that mean the Navmesh generated from the world in editor is exported somewhere which could then be read in by the server to check pathing before sending movement to client? would make things smooth rather than having to use world manager update?

Thanks.

EDIT 2:

I may have answered my own question with
Code:
Game.World.pathWalkable()
being a bool im thinking false if unable to build path to designated Vec otherwise true.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 10:09 PM by jagatai.)
05-13-2013 08:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Server side pathing vice client side
Hello,

On the server it's recommended to load the whole world at startup (for example with WORLD_FULL). Then you don't need to call world.update(pos) to load areas nearby players.

Alternatively you can extract Game.Area.Data.pathMesh() from each area, and just save that to custom files, if you'd like to do so.

Game.World.pathWalkable() is only for EE 1.0 for 2d paths.
for 2.0 please use Game.World.path
05-15-2013 02:27 PM
jagatai Offline

RE: Server side pathing vice client side
Perfect! thank you!

and great job on 2.0 btw! very impressed, clean and smooth product!

-J
05-15-2013 03:50 PM