About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Client - Server connection
Kiekos Offline

Client - Server connection
Hey there!

I've got a dedicated server running with a database there (which every client will connect to). The next step on my todo list is the client - server connection with some basic data sharing (like players' position). I've gone through the two tutorials: "Connection - Client" and "Connection - Server" and I'm a little bit confused on that.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1) The code from the "Client" tutorial has to be integrated in the client and the "Server" tutorial has to be a file running on my dedicated server, right?

2) If I order every client to send its player's position to the server, it will send it to all the other clients which will have to process the data afterwards, right?

3) What files should be there on the server in order for the connection to work properly? How to execute the server script?

It's the first time I set up something like this, so sorry for dumb questions.

~Kiekos
05-28-2013 03:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ozmodian Offline

RE: Client - Server connection
Hi Kiekos,

It is really hard to answer those questions here. I think you would learn a lot from buying the Esenthel MMO source. It basically does everything you are asking about and it is pretty easy to follow.
05-28-2013 03:52 PM
Kiekos Offline

I'd like to do everything on my own so for the time being I won't purchase the source code.

I assume there has to be a script running on the dedicated server to make it accessible for all the clients and share data. I'm not sure but I don't think every dedicated server can run .exe files. In that case, If I prepare the code which creates the server connection, compile it and build it to an .exe file there may be problems running it on the dedicated server.

I'm not asking for the whole code, I just want to know how to set this up properly as I'm a little bit confused...
(This post was last modified: 05-29-2013 01:42 PM by Kiekos.)
05-29-2013 01:41 PM
cmontiel Offline

I am using amazon EC2 as server (windows 2008 r2) and it can run .exes.
My server is just a windows console.

IRC: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #Esenthel
05-29-2013 02:29 PM