About Store Forum Documentation Contact

If I buy this...will this be easy to integrate
Shatterstar Offline

If I buy this...will this be easy to integrate
If I buy Triton Ocean, will it be easy to integrate into a game? Here is the website. http://sundog-soft.com/sds/features/ocea...th-triton/
05-26-2013 07:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: If I buy this...will this be easy to integrate
@ $1500 per title it seems very expensive unless your game is specifically based around oceans and realistic ocean effects.

I have seen shaders produced freely for other engines which go most of the way to producing the wave and spray effects demoed by this solution but without the true physics effects like wakes, down force displacements etc!
05-26-2013 09:12 AM
gwald Offline

"If I buy this...will this be easy to integrate?"
No not easy, next to impossible, unless you are planing on using it externally from EE... it's it own engine.
05-27-2013 02:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

It looks like it's actually a middleware. Which means it would be difficult, but not terrible to integrate.
05-27-2013 03:00 AM
Donik Offline

I think you would need an Esenthel source license and then integrate "Triton Ocean SDK for Windows" into it. So...it's not really easy and also not cheap.
05-27-2013 08:35 AM
Shatterstar Offline

Thats what i was thinking. i know that over in Unity Assets, they claim just changing a few lines of code and then you have it as a Unity plug-in. But I just don't think it will be that simple for Esenthel. This Triton comes with its own Editor, which tells me it's at least middle ware, and possibly its own engine. And after buying it and a Esenthel source license, it will not be worth it. What i might do, is find someone on here to pay to do it.
05-27-2013 04:06 PM
Rubeus Offline

http://www.sundog-soft.com/docs/triton/index.html

Read the documentation. It will work with Esenthel without buying the source license. According to their documentation, it only works on desktop, though.
05-27-2013 08:10 PM
Shatterstar Offline

Thanks Rubeus. that was how I understood it as well. I just wanted a second opinion before I go spending that kind of money. If Greg makes one that at least has waves then that will be good enough for me, so I'm probably going to wait a couple of months to see what he makes. I'm trying to talk him into letting me fund it to make it top priority, but no replies yet. Thanks again, Friend. grin
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013 10:34 PM by Shatterstar.)
05-27-2013 10:31 PM
gwald Offline

(05-27-2013 08:10 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  ...It will work with Esenthel without buying the source license.....

Really? how?
All their integration examples are in opengl, I don't think EE has openGL/DirectX handles exposed?

Reading this:
Triton is a C++ and C# library for real-time water rendering, featuring easy integration with OpenGL 2.0+, DirectX9, and DirectX11 based Windows applications.
licensed users of Triton will receive Triton's full source and full documentation of our internal classes as well.

I would say you can port their code to EE... but there's no guarantee that it can be done 100%
So, it would be mostly used as a reference really, maths etc.

I know others have requested Ocean modifications, "setting ocean in the editor" is on the road map, if Greg decides to add waves while doing that and put it up to the contribution, i'm sure others would chip in for it.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013 12:41 AM by gwald.)
05-28-2013 12:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

Once you add the libs/dlls/whathaves to the project, you call the init, update, and draw calls like you would any other object. Might take some tinkering and fancy coding to import the required files, but it's far from impossible. It's not much different from getting FMOD integrated and working.
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013 01:26 AM by Rubeus.)
05-28-2013 01:26 AM
Dalmat Offline

We will definitely look into this later, if we do it before you guys we will post the results and a solution.
Thanx for sharing.
05-28-2013 09:16 AM