About Store Forum Documentation Contact
Donations:
327$/mo

Grace period (V2 editor starting with no internet connection)
AndrewBGS Offline

RE: Grace period (V2 editor starting with no internet connection)
Getting back on the grace period idea. Where I can't help but tell you "I told you so" grin.

Why not change the way the Demo version behaves, such that I can happily use it in demo mode when I don't have internet. What I'm thinking is to CHANGE THE DEMO RESTRICTIONS:

I'm ok with the 10-minute "hey, buy me again! - oh you can't" pop up, but the 64-elements limit sucks. Instead of that, why not put some other less annoying restriction?

I was thinking to remove the Publish possibility from the demo version. That way you can't make games if you only have the demo, but you get to play around with it as much as you want (which might convince more people to buy it). And to prevent working with one licence for a whole team you could disable the multi-editing tool for demo version, which shouldn't be a problem if the person is just checking out the engine. Does anyone think this could work?
06-02-2013 07:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

(06-02-2013 07:13 PM)Shatterstar Wrote:  1.) Problem- It is developed by one man. What if he decides to not work on the engine anymore, or something happens to him to where he can no longer work on the engine.
Solution- Hire a staff that helps you develop your game engine. If you can't afford to hire a staff, percentage of profit upon release will help you pay your employees for their work. You don't even have to pay Interns. They will work for you just to build a portfolio. Make sure you have a business license if you don't already have one. Make sure you have a written will that someone inherits your business if anything should ever happen. If whomever inherits, knows nothing about making an Engine, or game development, then it's okay...you already have a team in place. People like to see team development more. It makes them feel more secure about using an Engine.

2.) Problem- There is no Asset store.
Solution- make a store that people can submit models, plug-ins, custom anything, and it would generate excitement. People would have hope that they could possibly make a little money off of their own ideas.

3.) Problem- No Console support for Xbox or Playstation
Solution- support it

4.) Problem- No animation editor and particle editor.
Solution-bring it back. people always love more features.

5.) Problem- better documentation
Solution- Find a way to make a better documentation layout.

1. Esenthel mentioned several times he can't afford to hire anyone, and he doesn't trust outsiders to just have access to all of the code. Maybe it's not justified to be that protective of your code, but ultimately, it's his choice.

2. That's not a problem, imo..
Teams will make their own assets (or else end up like a 13-in-a-dozen unity game), and there are still plenty of models all over the internet that you can just import yourself..

3. As you said, Esenthel is 1 man. 2 more platforms means a lot more work + maintenance.

4. There is a particle editor.. sort of. Better viewing of animations would be nice, I agree. But it's not necessary to have an editor.

5. More in the wiki would be nice, but so far, I haven't really had a problem using the header files + searching these forums.
06-02-2013 07:46 PM
Shatterstar Offline

I see your point Tottel. smile It's amazing that Greg has made all of this on his own. He must be a programming genius.
06-03-2013 12:13 AM
TheElk Offline

(06-02-2013 06:29 PM)aceio76 Wrote:  @candam: That is not what TheElk is saying. To explain further, if you (candam) own your business and you are using ee to make games so you can sell it and make money from it so you can pay yourself and your team, wouldn't you be concerned if something "does" happen to Grzegorz, since that will likely mean that the engine will stop being supported, licensing will stop allowing users to work as licensed users, etc?

If you are familiar with "life insurance", it is exactly that. No one wants to talk about it, but it's a very important thing to have because when "something" does happen, that insurance is more or less the life-saver. In our case, we may not have any insurance. I'm not saying something "will" happen, I'm just saying that something could, and we're not prepared for that if it does.

However, I will say that Grzegorz have every right to protect his licensing with his users. I think the biggest challenge is being able to support that need without compromising the usability of the software and inhibiting legitimate users from having full functional access to what they are licensed to use.

Yes this is all I was trying to say.

Thank you
06-03-2013 12:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gwald Offline

Esenthel, thank you for the reply.

(06-02-2013 02:48 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  I think that at this age internet is very common, in PC's and even mobile (Tablets, Cell phones) even if on country side. You could purchase cheap internet plan for your cell phone, and make wi-fi hotspot it to your computer just to check the license.
I have this, the cheapest providers have the worst coverage.

Quote:I know it's not perfect, but I'm not aware of other/better piracy-proof solutions.

There's no such thing as piracy-proof software.
Your users are programmers/hackers and you have made v2 purposefully overly restrictive and the demo frustrating and unusable... you are encouraging the thing you are wanting to avoid.
06-03-2013 12:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
knocks Offline

Quote:There's no such thing as piracy-proof software.
Your users are programmers/hackers and you have made v2 purposefully overly restrictive and the demo frustrating and unusable... you are encouraging the thing you are wanting to avoid.

I agree, a pirate would probably break the DRM in under an hour should they wish.
Piracy will never go away, your time is better spent supporting you’re paying customers.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013 12:55 AM by knocks.)
06-03-2013 12:54 AM
aceio76 Offline
Silver Supporter

Agreed with the last two posts.
06-03-2013 02:46 AM